I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing and fingerprints
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.58.38.42.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 07:56AM

Dear friends,

I've already finish the underwrap and coated with a first layer of finish (American Tackle Lite finish). I used a credit card as you adviced.

The question is that I want to make the overwrap tomorrow. Finish will have been curing for 36 hours, so I think it will be enough.

But I'm afraid about leaving fingerprints over the coating while wraping the overwrap. Is there any way to avoid it or it would disapear with second finish coat?. It happend with my first rod and I tried to clean them with alcohol. Result was still worst as coating surface became "milky". I'm aalso worried about "undesireable residues" left by masking tape.

And the las question is which finish can I use for the overwrap. May I use another brand? Is it better to follow with thin ones?. In this case, how many coats are necessry?.

OK. Things are going quite well. Just this last step and I think I'll upload my work to fishingphotos.net!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2005 12:07PM by Daniel Rotea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing and fingerprints
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.179.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 08:34AM

Permagloss is better to coat your underwraps with. Overnight it is as hard as a rock.
The finger prints will disapear when you put the top coat of finish on
Try to make sure the finish is dry.

Date: February 27, 2005 12:01PM

Hi, Bill

And can I use Permagloss for the underwraps and then any other finish for the overwrap?

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: February 27, 2005 12:08PM

I've wrapped over underwraps coated with LS in as few as 10 hours (or less). Thirty-six hours should be a gracious plenty. I also like to coat the underwraps with Permagloss as long as it isn't with the last little bit in the bottle. With 2/3 or so of it gone it tries to catalyze in the bottle. Gets too thick and sets on the wraps before displaced air has a chance to escape. Makes ugly little bubbles.

Jay

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.63.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 12:08PM

Yes, a lot of builders like to put a first coat of permagloss on, then a coat of epoxy finish. You could give the underwrap a scoff with a fine pad or fine sand paper

Date: February 27, 2005 12:12PM

And what is the scoff for?. To make both different products to bond?. When is it necessary and when it isn't?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster