I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help with decal connection decal application
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.162.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 02:34PM

howdy all. of course i choose THIS weekend to apply my new decal connection alignment dots...

can anybody offer the basic instructions posted by decal connection at their site as well as tips or advice you've developed?

i'm using a mac computer and have tried three different web browsers and none allow me to view the rod builders area or what might be the decal instruction page.

how close do you trim the "dots" (they're very small diamonds), how long do you soak the water slide paper, etc.

thanks

eric
fresno, ca.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help with decal connection decal application
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.002.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 26, 2005 06:00PM

Eric, check you email. there is no instructions for applying the alignment dots but I would cut them about quarter inch depending on the blank section.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.197.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 07:28PM

thanks myles! i really appreciate you sending the instructions.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 12:42AM

Hi Eric! I use DC waterslide decals almost daily, and have found a few extra "lessons learned"...
1. medium-warm but NOT HOT water is better than either very hot or cold water.
2. when applying on a matte/satin blank, put a coat of finish down first as instructed but LET THAT COAT CURE at least overnight...i.e. more than the normal 4hrs, etc...the decals slide best if the finish is at least 24hrs "old".
3. LS Supreme, my favorite finish, can want to pull away from the decal unless you apply a fhin coat of FLEX COAT CP first and let dry. Of course, this "pulling away" only happens after you've checked it for the first couple hours and are satisfied everything is going to be perfect...your best job ever! (purely speculating, of course. No experience in this whatsoever). NOT! ;)

Probably a few other things, too, but I'm being paged by my better half and must run. Let us know how it turns out!

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.210.219.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 03:34AM

thanks john! actually, i've put it off for tomorrow, sunday, maybe.

i am affixing this DC water slide alignment "diamond" to a forecast blank, so it's glossy, not matte or satin. from your personal experience is a base coat of finish still required? i read from myles' forwarded instructions that it's recommended, but they do not specify any difference between glossy or other blank finishes.

and i'm using flex coat's lite formula, for two or more coats.

any further tips or advice from anyone will be JOYFULLY received. seriously. ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.003.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 27, 2005 05:53AM

Eric, on a gloss blank I skip the base coat finish only do it on a matt blank if I think it's needed.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 10:48AM

With a gloss blank, you don't need to put down a coat of finish, though I usually do. It adds some depth and the thicker the finish, the more of a floating look you get.

Also, do not soak the decal in the water. One quick dip and that's it. If the backing starts to look dry, put a drop of water on it from your finger. You want to use as little water as you can. If you use too much water/too much time with the water, the glue starts to dissolve. This will give the decal a white haze when you put it on.

Posted by: Jimi (205.152.8.---)
Date: February 28, 2005 02:41PM

Please feel free to call or email us if you ever have any questions. I know that some people say you can skip the coating process if it is a glossy blank. There could be times where you may not need to coat a glossy blank but you never know when that may be. This is not true is many cases. There are many imperfections on every rod blank which could show up as a cloudiness under the decal. We feel it is better to be safe then sorry.

Posted by: Mick (---.demon.co.uk)
Date: March 09, 2005 06:23AM

Greetings from Scotland.
I find this thread very interesting because I am having big problems with my waterslide decals !
The first problem is when I coat the decal with CP it creates a cloudy finish so I have stopped doing this. The second problem is blotches appear in the label after application and the third problem is that when I coat the decal with epoxy it contracts whilst drying and the letters appear raised in a zig-zag fashion.
I am tearing my hair out here guys ! Can anybody help ?!!! PLEASE !
Och Aye
Mick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster