I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Man am I getting Confused???
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.161.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 02:04PM

I don't know about any one else, but I was just taking a look at some of the guides that people like American Tackle have out. Wow! There are sooooo many types, colors, ring materials, then the material is coated??? There is soo much out there I can see why people get confused!! I am
Titainium, titainium nitrate, then you got zerconia, then the zerconia is coated!!!???
Heck, if I built one rod per ring, per color, per ring material, per frame material, per frame color
I would not be able to move in my living room.
Heck i would like to put pictures of all the quality guides that are avalible on my site??? I would need 6-7 pages just to put them on??)(&^%$#@

You can tell I ain't doing much of any thing today

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Man am I getting Confused???
Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: February 26, 2005 02:20PM

Bill,

I'm assuming from the number of posts I see with your name on them that you've been around the rodbuilding arena awhile. How do you suppose newcomers to the game, like myself, feel when they are confronted with the same variety? Add in the variety of blanks, both brands and models, not to mention thread colors, and it's a wonder that all of our minds aren't 100% addled!

But I love it!!

Bilgee

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 02:37PM

This would be a great topic of disscussion for the "Manufacturers Spotlight" at the Charlotte show.

Date: February 26, 2005 02:39PM

I did not realize all the colors and platings??? Seems like American Tackle is coming out with so many different guides. The last time I was at there site the list was smaller, now good lord??!!
Got to put a like on my site and a little paragraph. This way I can confuse every body else?? LOL
Don't know if I want to check out blanks, my head will blow up
I should shut this darn computer off. Info over load

Date: February 26, 2005 02:42PM

Imagine being at the show and getting to see all this cool stuff? That and a $1000.00 Then the blanks and seats

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 03:22PM

Quit it! LOL!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: February 26, 2005 03:31PM

Bill,

That's enough -- quit beating up on yourself. Remember, it's five o'clock somewhere!

Bilgee

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 06:44PM

I agree with you Bill B. Last night I was looking through some catalogs and was amazed at the number of guides available. Some of us old guys started building rods when there were only bronze guides and the ones with agate rings in them. Then came Fuji with their guides. Now you go nuts trying to chose a set of guides.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Ed Carr (---.stkn.dial.netzero.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 10:02PM

I've been building for a couple of years and still end up with mixed sets of guides when I order sets. I just order a bunch more to fill out my miss match. It only takes about three tries to get what I need. LOL.ED. They do need to simplify the guides so you can tell at a glance what your looking at. Will give you an ice cream headache if you look to long. ED..

Posted by: Richard Backus (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 10:44PM

What wrong with NOT moving in your living room? That could now be your new Rod building room!

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 11:08PM

Hi Guys,

That was what I was refering to yesterday when I said it would be nice to have the companys that manufacture blanks and components to give listings to suggest that their XYZ blank matches up good with their ABC guides for a light saltwater setup. American Tackle, Batson and others have some nice components that we are over looking. We get a new blank catalog and just sit there and drool over the new blanks and never seem to look at their components. I for one will order a blank needed for a job and seem to go to Fuji just out of habit. I think the companies are missing the boat on this. I mentioned this on a post yesterday and was basicly shot down for saying such a thing. It was said if you are a rod builder you should know what guides to get for each setup. I guess I can pretty much get the guides needed for the blank but I like you Bill are missing the boat by not checking into the new components out there and the component companies are missing sales by not trying to sell us on the components by matching blanks & components together.

I'm in the same boat as you are Bill. I was unable to attend the Big Show due to health reasons, so here I sit. I'm upset about missing the show and not seeing the new stuff and new tricks of the trade. But what I'm more upset about is not being able to put faces to names and I really would have liked to be there to shake the hands of people like Putter, Jessie Burke and others that have helped me so over the last year.

The up side of getting the Big Show over with is now maybe when a question is asked you might get an answer other than you will be able to see that item at Charlotte or there will be a demonstration of how to do that at Charlotte, ect.

I guess I better shutup before I get my priviledges revolked or fingers chopped off.

Bill maybe us impaired will be up to going to next years "Really Big Show" and shaking hands, God willing.

All the Best to you guys

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: February 27, 2005 12:06AM

Did someone mention adled minds? I thought that was a requirement for this hobby??? I know I qualify!!
Murf

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2005 12:16AM

Hey Murf,

Adled minds that's from sniffing the glues. No wait-a-minute sniffing glue was before I started Rodbuilding. Ok I have great an idea

What were we talking about, I forgot? If I remember I will get back to you. Now I have to remember what we were talking about and who I was talking to.

Hank
Wells, ME. (I think)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.179.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 08:21AM

Hank are the epoxys doing that to you ?? LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster