I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip Top Glue
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 04:47PM

Is U-40 ok for tip tops on? I thought someone said it presents problems if tip-top repair/replacement is needed...if so can someone recommend a glue for tip-tops that does not present repair/replacement problems?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip Top Glue
Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 05:17PM

Steven - the only thing I have used is flex coats tip top adhesive. It works great. I have not had a problem with a top coming unglued yet. And when I recently redid the wraps on my first home built fly rod - the tip top easily came off with a little heat.
It is a hot melt glue. It takes a little practice but I think it works well. Plus it is cheap. Costs under $2 for H&H.
good luck,

Greg

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 05:19PM

I do not like to use any epoxy type glue for rod tips. I have melted the rod tips on graphite rods with a small tip diameter while trying to heat the tip enough to remove it. Most of the rods that I build will have a tip size 4 to 6. I prefer to use the tip glue sold by Gudebrod and Flexcoat. A word of caution when removing a tip that has been epoxied. Sometimes the tips will pop off like bullets so if you are using epoxy, be sure you point the tip away from you. One tip that I have mentioned before and that I learned from Flexcoat is to take the tip glue and put in a hot glue gun. Take a piece of glass or ceremic tile and make thin glue strings with the gun. After the glue cools, take the thin glue strings to put insite of the tip top tube, heat and stick the tip top on your rod.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 08:51PM

Steven , I use 5 min Devcon epoxy . I have had to take 2 tops off , and it was a little tough to get the glue to melt , but if you heat the tip and not the barrel of the tip it will melt the glue and not the blank . I personaly don't like the low temp melt glues . Just my oppinion . Have fun, John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 10:07PM

I also have used nothing but FC glue and have never had a tip fail. I used to slice strips and put inside the tip, until a great tip I learned here. I cannot remember who told me this, but I love them for it.

Heat the tip, and then run the hot tip down the outside of the glue stick, like a backhoe digging a trench. Fills the tip with glue instantly. Heat the tip of the stick and wipe it on the blank. Heat the tip, install and remove excess. Putting on a tip takes less than 10 seconds now.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 01:54AM

Heat sticks are great!! Unless you live in a hot areas like AZ, Texas or Oak. There the heat sticks seam to soften in hot weather. As for using Rod Bond or any epoxy glues. When tring to remove a tip Top always put a cold rag on the blank, when heating and make sure you pull straight off and don't twist it off.
Good Weraps Bob

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 08:03AM

This is why I like the new fuji mn tip tops. With these I use hot melt glue, & then wrap over. Tradidional tip tops I like the 5 minute stuff.

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: February 25, 2005 04:49PM

Best thermoplastic glue is found in archery shops and not in rod building supplier catalogs. Look for the deepest amber color.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 03:18AM

Steven, I have used Flex Coat tip glue with good results. However, I prefer to use Flex Coat High or light build epoxy. I like the assurance that the whole inside of the tip top guide is covered in adhesive. Momentarily submersing the tip under hot water makes for easy and safe removal without damaging the rod. I have a 190 degree Hot Water at my kitchen sink. I use that when the wife isn't around and tip removal is needed.
I don't recommend using a lighter to heat up and remove tips, or even to apply tip top glue or thormoplastics. The flame is just too hard to control and too hot.
If you gotta put a flame to a rod, it is far easier to control an alcohol torch, or even a candle. Good luck in whatever choice you make.

Patrick Vernacchio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster