I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Acid wrap rollers/transistion guides
Posted by: Terry Marx (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 01:57PM

So before I do something that seems to make sense to me, maybe (probably) one of you can tell me this is just a bad or or just plain dumb idea.
Building a 5'6" 80lb standup tuna rod, my own.
Now allowing that the line path is different between loaded and unloaded conditions and that if placed properly the transistion guides get miminal line pressure when full load is applied, that fact insures that the "unloaded" path is not so free running through the transistion guides.
Does it make sense to anyone else that those transistion guides not be rollers , thereby saving the line wear that could occur when line is moving through an unloaded rod. Yeah I know a line with no load won't be dragging too heavy but still,,,,
I just seems to me that line traveling through a couple heavy SIC's would have a smoother trip than slapping the side of a roller frame, especially when leader to spectra connections come through.
I figure that something must be wrong with this idea or I'd have seen it before, Somebody tell me why I'm wrong,,, Please

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Acid wrap rollers/transistion guides
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 04:06PM

Makes sense to me and i think it would work, personally I use all Fugi SIC turbo guides(LRSG) on my tuna rods up to and including 80# , mainly the 765 series blanks
All my rods are acid wrapped btw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2005 04:06PM by Jim Kastorff.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: February 24, 2005 04:57PM

I'll have to go home and check the unloaded line path on the one roller rod I have in the shop. If I may ask, what are the angles you set the two trans guides at? I've also thought about using ring guides for the transition, but then why not just use rings throughout? Anyway, I'd like to know the guide angles for the rollers if you have those. Thanks!

Jay

Posted by: John Mantele (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 05:41PM

Jay,

Here are some @#$%& Roller Guide locations for 5-1/2 ft rods:

Seeker 6455XH

1st Transition = 30 deg. 24 inches from center of reel seat

2nd Transition = 135 deg. 30-1/4 inchs from center of reel seat

Number 3 Guide = 175 deg. 36 inches from center of reel seat

Number 4 Guide = 180 deg. 41-1/4 inches from center of reel seat

Number 5 Guides = 180 deg. 46-1/4 inches from center of reel seat

Number 6 Guide = 180 deg. 50-5/8 inches from center of reel seat

Fiber Force Blank 50 - 80 Lb Pacific Composites New Zealand
AllCoast Owner, Don Parents rod built by J_AkuHed (Jim Racela)

1st Transition = 30 deg. 24 inches from center of reel seat

2nd Transition = 165 deg. 29 inchs from center of reel seat

Number 3 Guide = 180 deg. 34 inches from center of reel seat

Number 4 Guide = 180 deg. 39 inches from center of reel seat

Number 5 Guides = 180 deg. 44 inches from center of reel seat

Number 6 Guide = 180 deg. 49 inches from center of reel seat

Regards,

John Mantele (aka: @#$%&)

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 01:43PM

Actually I was asking about the trans angles because I'm trying to understand why the line touches the guide frames when the rod is unloaded. I went home last night and gave a quick look to the rod I have in my shop and didn't see the issue...I admit I did look quick.

Thanks for the information anyway though.

Jay

PS: John, I overnighted Steve's rod Wednesday morning. UPS said it was delivered early Thursday AM. I'm waiting to hear from him. Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster