I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

paint
Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 11:23AM

I was wondering has anyone tried a paint called KAMELEON KOLOR? Its by plasti-kote and comes in a 6 oz. can (aerosol). Its a three step process; base coat , the color , and final clear coat. A buddy of mine from up north turned me on to it , suggesting that I try it on a rod or two. Well let me tell you this stuff is pretty slick ! Its a metal flake that changes color in the sun light, I've tried green to gold , and green to blue to purple. I shot a 6' boat/spin rod with the green to gold, adding black frame guides with bright forrest green wraps , WOW!! My next project was an old model 704 PENN that one got the green to blue to purple WOW!! again.
Thank You
LARRY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: paint
Posted by: Dick Murchison (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 11:44AM

This sounds interesting. I could make a colorful rod for my wife!
Dick.

Posted by: John Minutillo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 12:17PM

Larry, check your e-mail. I just sent you a couple pics of the rod that I used that paint on.

Posted by: Ronnie Apple (---.wave-net.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 01:53PM

John I would like to see the pictures also if you don't mind. Ronnie.....

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.60.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 02:47PM

I have seen it. But I was not doing any Heavy rods so did not try it. I would not use it on any thing light, too many coats to do, thus adding too much weight to a light rod
Heavy boat rods are nice for it Good stuff

Date: February 24, 2005 02:48PM

Ronnie, I just sent you a couple. John

Date: February 24, 2005 02:55PM

For the guys that are asking, the rod I have it on is a Lami SB1363M

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 04:27PM

John Minudillo:
I checked my E- mail no pics were there
Larry

Bill Boettcher:
It works on most any black backrground so a black blank would reduce one coat of paint, and I imagine you do put some sort of clear coat on as a final finish on the blank, you would only be adding one coat of paint , which I don't think weighs that much.
Larry

Dick Murchison:
An excelent anniversary gift.
Larry

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 04:36PM

I just did a light action solid fiberglass rod, for my wife, in the Purple / Green. Turned out great. It does add a little weight, with the base, color and clear. As Larry said above, the base is black, so if you had a black rod, that would cut out a coat of paint. I don't have a digital camera, so I can't take pictures and post.

Bill in WV

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.60.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 04:49PM

The more material you put on and the thicker it gets, it will tend to crack later on with the flex of the blank. On my light rods I just put two ( dust ) coats of auto color paint, then maybe two thin coats of clear. Try to keep it as thin as I can

Date: February 24, 2005 04:55PM

Larry, I tried again. Let me know if you get them or not. John

Posted by: Derek L. McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 12:25AM

I seems my secret is out....I do the same thing with my reels....I buy old beater Penns, strip them, clean them, reassemble them with any necessary new parts, and paint them with the paints mentioned above.....My friends love them....I have managed to get a lot of kids interested in fishing by having neat looking gear....The paint does not stand up to heavy use....But its paint and can be redone.

Derek

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.42.154.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 12:40AM

Maybe some permagloss on them and then thay will hold up!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster