I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crappie Rod
Posted by: Ed Tallon (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 09:20PM

All,

I'm building a crappie rod for my brother and have never built a crappie specific rod. If anyone could give me advice on length, guide size, # of guides, etc.. I would greatly appreciate it. He will be primarily flipping 1/16 & 1/32oz jigs with light line into brush. If you know where I can purchase a reel seat with the palm contour on it would also be a help.

Thanks in advance
Ed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crappie Rod
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 11:28PM

With something like this, it's a bit tough to make a species specific rod. Where there are crappie there are usually also cats, bass, walleye or pike, that hit on the same lures/baits. I fish for cats and catch as much if not more crappie than cats.

If I had to pick something, I'd go with an ultralight rigin the 5 1/2 to 6' length. I'm rather partial to St. Croix. If he takes care of his stuff, an SCV would be great. If he is a bit rough, I'd go with a SCIII or even an SCII (one of my favorites). Guide size.. small. Go with single foot ceramic fly guides, say size 5 maxing up to no larger than a 10 for the first size, which may even be on the big size.

For casting seats, I like fuji and pacbay. On really small diameter rods, I don't think you will find an exposed blank model. If anybody knows where I can find one, please let me know.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 08:28AM

Which Rainshadow blank or blanks would you use for crappie?

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: February 24, 2005 10:01AM

You will also see guys using rods that are 7 foot long or more depending how they are fishing for the crappie. Alot of times if they are just flipping the jigs into cover, they are using the longer rods. They are not actually casting the lures that much, most of the line is hanging down and it is just a simple pitch into the cover so the longer rod works for this and makes it easier to pull the fish out of cover quickly. The longer rod will pick up more line quickly than a shorter rod and get the fish out of the cover. I have seen some of these rods go as much as 12 foot long and in 3-4 pieces.

Posted by: Larry Thomas (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 10:18AM

Just depends. If you are wading or fishing brush long (8 to 16 ft.) rods are nice. Here in Texas we shoot dock alot. We use 4 1/2 footers. The top half a a fly rod is excellent. We hold the jig, pull it back like a bow and shoot the jig up to 20' under docks or overhangs. If you want to get a wide assortment of opinions go to Texasfishingformum.com then down to the crappie section and ask your question.

Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (---.216-170.unk.tds.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 12:52PM

All good suggestions. So you see that you probably have to analyze his technique.

But, I have built crappie rods for people who fish like you describe. They flip or almost "reach" into the reeds and brush with a light jig or jig-n-float. For these guys I usually build longer rods. I have used St.Croix's 10'-6" noodle blank (2S106ULS2) or the SCII fly rod blanks either 8 or 8'-6", 4 or 5 weight.

Posted by: Ed Tallon (---.americanri.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 01:20PM

All,

Good suggestions, Thanks

Date: February 24, 2005 06:00PM

Tom, I am not familiar at all with Rainshadow so I'd just look at the specs and get something that looks right. Like the others guys mention, it depends on how you fish too.

Should have mentioned that myself. Too often I forget that there are lots of other methods to fish than my own!

Date: February 24, 2005 06:00PM

Tom, I am not familiar at all with Rainshadow so I'd just look at the specs and get something that looks right. Like the others guys mention, it depends on how you fish too.

Should have mentioned that myself. Too often I forget that there are lots of other methods to fish than my own!

Posted by: David Banaka (216.64.255.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 12:08AM

Rainshadow I would go with IS660 RX7 or SP720 RX6 Look under spinning on there web page

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster