I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Record keeping programs
Posted by: Brett Emmons (---.actaccess.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 06:26PM

I am looking to keep better records of the rods that I build and sell (blank type, guides, handle, spacing and so on). Does anyone know of a program that will do that and if so would you let me know?

Thanks Brett Emmons

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Record keeping programs
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 06:32PM

Go to the Decal Connection site and then go to the Rod Builders' Sample page. There's some software available there. If you have Excel, you can set it all up in a spreadsheet without much trouble.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 06:54PM

I use Excell as well. You're only limited to how much info you want to enter.

Posted by: Richard E. Case (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 09:48PM

Brett,
I am leaving early tomorrow morning for Las Vegas and will not be back until Monday, but if you E-Mail me, I will send you a sample of what I use. It is excel, and if you are familiar with Excel, you can download the attachments I will send you. The only problem with Excel, is that it's really a spread sheet and you would have a file on each of your rods. If you used a data base program, you can get a lot of information from reports that you make up from the data base. The excel works just fine for me. I know nothing about data base programs.

Rick Case
RodsByRick@cox.net

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 11:38PM

Rick,
Why would you have a file for each rod? I use Excel and use only one line for each rod.

Gerry

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 12:01AM

It depends how you keep records. I keep track of blacnk, grip lengths, colors, inlays, guides, prices I paid, what I charged,labor, colors used for the guide wraps, details on how many turn trim bands, inlays, length of butt wrap, spacing, colors, a little description if need be. ALso keep track of ow long each step took me ,listed by date so I know when I started & finished.

I keep a Tac for each rod, and save by year. I don't make many rods though, so it's not that bad, I'm sure if I built 50 rods per year I'd have them saved little differently

Posted by: Randy Klein (---.dsl.wcfltx.swbell.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 08:40AM

If you have Microsoft Works, it comes with a database that's easy to use. You might give it a try if you have it already.

Posted by: David Green (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 09:08AM

Brett,

Here is the url for the program Gerry was talking about....

[www.vmtsoft.com]

Tight Wraps
DG Rod Works

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: February 24, 2005 02:03PM

Microsoft Access or any other database software. You may even be able to get someting suitable in a shareware version. The Beauty of those kind of applications are that you can customize it to exaclty what you want to track and the build reports if that is what you want.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster