I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting Reels
Posted by: Lon Nalder (---.du.pinetel.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 12:53PM

I read Rich Pedros listing, 2/21/05, about casting reels. Nothing was mentioned about the Shimano Corvalus 401or the Cardiff 401. And while we are at it how about Pflueger Trion 66? I have been looking at these to use on a 9 foot heavy salmon rod. They fit my budget better and I wonder if anyone out there can give me information on them. Thanks, you are All a great resource!

Lon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting Reels
Posted by: Tom Costa (---.173.66.34.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 01:11PM

Hey Lon,
I am a big Shimano fan and have a couple of buddies that have used the cardiff for Fluke fishing here on the east coast. Althought they are not as costly as the Calcutta's or others they do not perform as well under the preasure of big fish. And lets face it a Fluke will not test a reel like a Salmon would! I have learned the hard way and in my opinion it would be worth the few extra dollars and upgrade to the Calcutta or the new Tekota. Buy it once and take care of it and you will have it for a long time! I have had excellent luck with the Calcutta 400 for Striper fishing! And will be purchasing the new Tekota 500 or 600 for this spring. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Best of Luck, Tom

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 01:35PM

If you want a Calcutta 250 baitcasting reel get it now! They have been discontinued and are no longer being manufacturered. I would almost bet the cost of production for this reel is too high for the established "market" price. I am not sure about the 400 but would guess it is no longer available also.

Posted by: Nick Dazer (204.200.228.---)
Date: February 23, 2005 03:51PM

I've caught lots of salmon (and steelhead) on my Garcia 5500 that I've had for about 14 years. I have many other salmon reels, but Garcias are my personal favorites. You'll also see the 5500 and 6500 on a lot of guide boats. They're inexpensive, durable, and easy to maintain and repair (and parts are cheaper and easier to come by since they are so popular.) I always keep my eye out for the older 5500c (with the black grips on the handle). For some reason, I find them easier to cast than the brand new ones.

Posted by: Tom Costa (---.173.66.34.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 04:00PM

Sorry Nick! I forgot about those!!! I also have 3 Abu 6500 that I use for Fluke... Very good reels as well! But I do not think they cast as well as the Shimano's. I know some guys have had custom sets of berrings made for their Abu's that seem to improve the reel even more. But none the less a great reel for the money.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 04:15PM

Haven't tried a Cardiff , but the Corvalus hasn't done well reliability wise as Tom mentioned.
Nick said it all about the Abu reels, some of the reels I've seen on the river look like they were dragged behind the truck from all the bangs, dents, bent handles and scrapes they gotten from being dropped and dragged around on the rocks, but they keep on ticking(15, 20, 30 years old) and everyone has parts.
A reel I tried this year that I really liked was the Tica Caiman reels, casted great, super smooth, great drag and salt tight, but they are about $25 to 30 dollars more.
Didn't know Shimano was pulling the Calcuttas, I thought they were just upgrading them with ARB bearing, etc.
Forgot the Plfueger, only know of one guy that has some, so far so good. Nicer casting that the Abu reels. If they hold up as well as the President reels seem to be doing, they would be a good choice.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: February 23, 2005 05:30PM

I have 4 of the Pfleugers now, price was a consideration at first but I love those things now. Smooth casting, easy brake adjustment and nice drags. I use them for all my salmon and steelhead rigs. Also just bought a President spinning reel. Unused yet, but if it's like the Trions, I'll be a happy camper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster