I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spatula Technique
Posted by: Martin Ferral (---.fuse.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 07:32AM

I've read about using spatulas to apply finish but, I haven't seen anything on the actual technique. Can someone please ex[plain how finish is applied with this tool. (MY Kirkman book is on the way so maybe I won't have to ask so many basic questions)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spatula Technique
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 08:23AM

Even with a brush, you don't really want to "brush" the finish. With both spatula or brush, you just load the tool with finish, touch it to the thread while rotating the blank (I find doing this from the top easier, sort of drop the finish onto the thread, and I rotate by hand), then "push" or "pull" it around a bit if necessary while the finish is still flowing well. In tight places, I substitute a toothpick or a pin for the spatula. If covering long surfaces, the technique is a bit different, but it's still more of a stroking than a brushing motion. The basic idea is you are just letting the flow of the epoxy coat the thread, hardly touching the thread, if at all, with the tool.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2005 08:29AM

If you've ever seen Ralph O'Quinn do this (and he'll be demonstrating it at his booth in Charlotte this weekend) he applies the epoxy with the spatula while the rod is spinning at about 200RPM.

I don't use a spatula personally, so I can't give you any of the ins and outs of the technique.

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 12:37PM

Martin
If you can come by the U40 booth at Charlotte and we will demonstrate as Tom has said. You can also do it for yourself there too. As Tom Doyle has suggested let the epoxy flow off the spatula. Think of it as a putty knife as you can use it in a similar fashion. I use a spatula that is shape like Ralph's . It has a flat blade end and a tapered point end. The edges are rounded and chamfered to allow the epoxy to flow off.

If you are not going to the show, if you want I can send via email instructions that I have written for my rod building classes. I think it is best to have it demonstrated and then practice for yourself. Let me know. My email is hisrodshop@charter.net
Regards Joe Kassuba

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 07:03PM

Martin
I have been using this technique for about 27 years, did'nt know until the article in Rod Building that it had the name " spatula" . The way i learned it is to use the stick end (not the cotton)of a cotton swab. I prefer the wooden sticks, then use the same technique as described to flow the finish onto the rod, toothpicks are used to get into the small areas around the eyes. I have seen a lot of changes in materials from using marine epoxy on fiberglass blanks to the new rod finishes and high modulus graphite, but this technique still gives me the result I want.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 07:17PM

This way of doing it (letting the epoxy flow off a spatula onto the thread) works especially well if you do it by hand and, after everything is covered, let the blank "sit" in one postion until excess epoxy collects on the bottom, take the excess off (with the spatula), turn the blank 180 degrees, let it sit again, etc. Then, when the excess is removed, turn it as usual (with a dryer or by hand, your choice). Once you learn how much to remove, you get great results every time.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.153.38.64.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 06:36AM

Sam, I was commenting on another thread that many of the "new" techniques such as using a spatula, and some devices such as the little cement mixer used to mix finish, have been around for many years. Decades in some instances - such as yours. Seems that they fade out of popularity only to be reintroduced later with great fanfare.

Since I underwrap most all my guides I found it difficult to dab finish under the guide frame when using a spatula, so I use a cheap "acid brush" to apply finish. Cheap and throw away.

I personally use an spare clemens lathe head to spin rods while applying finish, but do not like to spin them too fast or they begin to sling finish in all directions.

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster