I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread problems
Posted by: Brad Young (---.cha.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 07:05AM

Has anyone had problems with pac bay thread. I was using size A in a burgandy color. The first time that I put epoxy on it the thread fuzzed up underneath. So I proceeded to take that section of thread off. Now I have rewrapped the butt section and epoxyed it and it now has sand like pimples in it. Is this a thread problem or a finish problem? Using flex coat lite.

Thanks for response.

Madfish Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread problems
Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 08:28AM

Have never had problems with that thread. However....comma.....I had trouble with another well known manufacturer's thread. I got BIG fish eyes all over the thread on two rods - i had finished them together. What the heck??? Of course the first thing I suspected were the tools - but I had been using the batch of mix cups with no problems; the brush - a cheap "acid brush" I had previously used with no problems and cleaned for reuse; The alcohol I had been using on previous work also with no problems. Maybe the air? Or something must have been sprayed in the air and somehow traveled indoors and got on the work?

Stripped off the work and redid all the thread. It happened yet again! Fish eyes all over the place. Ok. Grabbed a piece of scrap blank and began testing samples of everything I was using. The thread I was using was a silver metallic and black nylon. Wrapped bands of each on the piece of scrap, mixed a fresh batch of finish from a new set of bottles, and another from the old set, applied both to the thread. The fish eyes appeared almost immediately over the band of black thread. The thread was contaminated.

Unfortunately I had to strip and redo all the thread work off yet a 2nd time. Hours of work wasted due contaminated thread. Of course by now I had used up a pretty good portion of the batch of black thread (pulling bands of 8 threads at once, multiplied by three wraps). When I made a claim against the vendor they honored my request that the thread be replaced, but prorated the value of the returned spools based on how much thread had been pulled off of them. So I got partial replacement cost - and I wasted many hours of my work on their bum thread. Pee'ed me off. But oh well, can't dwell on this too long, pressed on with other thread I had. And chalked it off to lesson learned.

Lou.

Posted by: stanford yerger (---.156.174.189.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 08:44AM

Brad, was glad to see your post as I had the same problem.
I'm in the process of rewraping the guids.
This learning curve of rod building sure is a lot of fun.
Sorry to be of no help, Stan.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:45AM

Any fraying of the thread will cause those "fuzzies." The only question is, did those frays come about due your tensioning-directional equipment, or from that at Pacific Bay.

Check your screw eyes, pigtails or whatever you use to tension and route your thread through. Make sure there are no burrs, grooves or wear marks. If not, then take some of your thread and wrap it, directly from the spool and by hand, around a sample blank or dowel. Finish that sample. If it does the same thing, you've just gotten a bad spool of thread.

Posted by: Brad Young (---.cha.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 04:38PM

I actually did not use a tensioning device other than my hand. This was a butt wrap that is about 6 inchs long. It really doesn't look like fuzzies but pimples. Can I sand them off and try to reexpoxy. thank for all your help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster