I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

silk thread on graphite rods
Posted by: Brian Neely (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 12:15AM

Hello all
I'm new to this site so I hope I do this right. My question is has anyone used silk thread for graphite rods and if so, does it work ok? Also has anyone used spar varnish instead of the basic 2 part low build finishes?
The silk thread comes in a lot smaller sizes making it easer to do very fine tipping and design wraps.
and the spar varnish can be put on thinner ( I hate bulky looking wraps) so the wraps look much nicer
Thanks in advance for your help, I love this site, lots of very useful info here.
Thanks
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: silk thread on graphite rods
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.243.242.8.Dial1.SanFrancisco1.Level3.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 12:32AM

Spar Varnish is all I use as I HATE two part epoxies. No matter how hard I try I can never get the mix perfect. I use Future Floor Acrylic as a color preserver as well (school is still out on that one).

I thin the Varninsh with mineral spirits until it is the consistency of nonfat milk and then apply it with an airbrush. Looks good, easy clean up.

Don't know anything about silk thread though I am afraid.

Derek

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 12:32AM

Search teh archives. I'm sure you'll get some responses on this thread, but I know this questin has been asked several times already - you might find more info in teh archives.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.tyrd.cox-internet.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 12:36AM

Brian. I use 2/0 silk on graphite as 3/0 is just a tad fragile for my taste. I sometime use Varathane 900 for its color preserving qualities as an undercoat, but generally prefer Klass Kote epoxy paint for the final finish. Klass Kote is a paint and goes on like a varnish. It can be thinned, or allowed to thicken in the pot. No bubbles or polishing. A pot life of hours. Two coats of regular strength K K finishes pretty well. I am experimenting to achieve an even better result and will post my results soon. I will reveal that the satin catalyst acts as a color preserver, although you must still use the gloss catalyst for the final coat.

Posted by: Jim Morris (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: February 23, 2005 04:16AM

Brian, I've recently begun to use Pearsalls silks on graphite rods and have been really pleased with the results - the finer thread appears to have been 'poured' onto rod and the subtle variations in the colour of the silk comes out too. So far I've only used Flex Coat CP under one thin coat of epoxy and that has worked really well. I guess I was initially attracted to silk because Pearsalls make a couple of great greens that are unlike anything I've been able to find in nylon. Jim

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: February 23, 2005 08:13AM

Hi Brian,
I'm wrapping a Lamiglas fiberglass fly rod right now using Pearsalls Gossamer - I chose white to get a clear wrap - it works great. Next up is a 11 foot 5 weight graphite blank from CTS - I'll be wrapping that one with silk also but the Gossamer is VERY thin so I'll be using Naples instead. I dont think silk is better or worse - just different which is why "we" build our own rods - right ?
I disagree that silk will make it easier to make fine tippings etc - I can hardly see the d.... thread so I wouldnt use the words silk and easy in the same sentence... ;-)
I've never used two part finishes so its varnish for me - on silk and nylon.
One piece of good advice I got from Mr. Harry Boyd and that I would like to pass on to you is to wet the first part of the silk thread when you start wrapping - it get a much better grip on the blank making it easier to start you wrap.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.165.182.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 09:23AM

Peter
I know what you mean. I usually hold the tag end until I am over at least twice

Posted by: Don Davis (---.tyrd.cox-internet.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 12:51PM

Why don't you put a piece of tape to hold the tag end until you cross the thread 3 or 4 wraps? Takes about 1 second to place and remove.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 04:07PM

Anyone who wants to see brown (chestnut) silk on a matte finish graphite rod finished with two part epoxy and "mottled" to match the wood handle trim pieces can stop by and see me in Charlotte, then take it over to the pond and cast it.

Posted by: Barry McGuire (---.newt1.ct.charter.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 08:23PM

Hi, Brian; Silk and varnish work just as well on graphite or glass as they do on bamboo, and have a richness and depth that nylon and epoxy can't match (in my opinion). The only drawback to silk is that it's relatively non-elastic,and therefore is more prone to break and fray than nylon. Piersall's Gossamer is pretty much the gold standard; it's fine diameter gives a beautiful appearance but it's also most likely to need some re-wrapping after a few years of hard service. If you like the look, go for it. We're rod-builders..we can always re-wrap. Barry

Posted by: Brian Neely (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 11:51PM

thanks for all the info guys. Its really nice to have a site like this where if I have a problem I have a bunch of people willing to help me out.
thanks very much.
Brian
Well it s off to rod #7 with varnish and possibly silk to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster