I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bonefish Flats Fly Rod Suggestions
Posted by: Joe Barnett (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 10:03AM

Hi All,
Got a buddy going on a cruise, and they will be doing some bone fish flats type fishing. He want's to get set up with the correct equipment to start with. I am going to let him use one of my flyrods to humiliate himself in the back yard with so he can work on some casting technique before he makes the plunge... He is an experienced angler, just not a fly angler. I told him to expect to be standing in the yard with fly line draped around his ankles and neck for a while, but I'm sure he will catch on to it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bonefish Flats Fly Rod Suggestions
Posted by: Mike Parker (208.6.1.---)
Date: February 22, 2005 11:57AM

Bonefishing on the flats? Definitely have to go with Dan Craft Sig III 1 wt.

Posted by: Andrew Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 01:13PM

Joe,
Depending on where he is going, anything from 6wt - 10wt. will work. If he will be in the Bahamas or the Carribean, and if the winds are light, a 7wt. is perfect. If he will be in the Keys, an 8wt. or 9wt. may be better.
I have not Bonefished all that much, but in my experience, the key is being able to spot fish, and make QUICK, ACCURATE presentations. All that rubbish about being able to cast 100 feet is just that...rubbish. Most shots will be from 25 to 6 feet, and they will happen VERY fast. Be sure he learns the "Speed Cast", so that he can hit 60 feet in two false casts or less.

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 05:37PM

Joe,
I think Andy hit it right on the head...speed and accuracy in casting over distance...especially figuring out how to "lead" the fish without spooking them. I think an 8wt is a good "all-round" choice. I'm a budget conscious guy and built a saltwater Tigereye 8wt for my 1st and only trip to Belize. It performed like a champ...light enough to cast all day, wind & all. Nice, budget sensitive rod, especially if this could be just a 1 time fly fishing experience. If the fly fishing becomes more than a 1 shot deal, then he'll have a good rod for bass, redfish, stripers, etc.

2 cents,

Tim

Posted by: Sean Herrera-Thomas (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 06:04PM

All the above comments are great. IMHO, though, I think a Dan Craft FT 9' 7wt and matched with an 8 weight line would be great. I suppose a 8 weight FT and 9 weight line would be my next choice. Also (and this is just me being weird) I would use a down-locking seat with no fighting butt to minimize line tangle when shooting long casts in cross winds. As mentioned above, though, the single most important factor is not equipment but casting ability.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.ras02.mia01.dial.cogentco.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 12:24AM

Casts of 100 feet may not be frequently necessary, but I've never encountered a flycaster who could make a 100 foot cast who could not make shorter casts both quickly and accurately.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster