I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Messed up first coat
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: February 22, 2005 08:05AM

Nearly everyone of my guides has some kind of blemish. I put too much epoxy on and then spent too long trying to take off the excess. My playing with the finish must of happened after the glue started setting up because some of my guide finish has little pimples about the size of a pinpoint. Also, there are some spots that sucked up the epoxy and the thread outline shows through. I am thoroughly disgusted with myself. Will a second coat hide those blemishes or do I start over and take off the really bad ones? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Messed up first coat
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 08:23AM

Bruce, you might be able to sand out the blemishes, and even up the wraps by using 400 grit paper, emrory board or what ever you have handy. Just be sure not to get into the thread. If you are able to straighten them up by sanding, then another coat should be fine. If not, then simply cut them off and go again.

Just a word of advice IMHO, applying finish is one of those things that is better shown than explained, but one thing that really helped me was to apply in thin coats, then get away from them and quit messing with them afterwards. I found the wraps were more level, and even when I had slight blemishes, such as those tiny missed areas, they come out looking much better by letting the first coat dry and applying a second coat, than trying to fix everything the first go around.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 08:29AM

Oh yea, if your going to try sanding, then be sure and apply a wrap of tape at each end of the wrap to protect the finish on the blank

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 08:45AM

If you have threads showing or bumped up in places, apply a second coat and then try smoothing as Doug mentioned and then a final coat. Less I mess with the finish the better it seems. Putting on the right amount seems to be the trick, though, and that will come with more experience!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 09:33AM

Get a brand new sharp sharp razor blade and carefully trim of all the pimples. Cutting the mess ups off with a razor blade can be easily done before the finish cures hard enough to sand which may takes four to five days. Go to a local beauty supply and get some Personna Hair Shaper Blades. They will make quick work of the pimples you refer to. Take care not to cut into the thread!

You really need to figure out what you did to cause this if it as bad as you say. How did you tension your thread? What size and type of thread? Was the thread "fuzzy" on the spool? Was it tightly packed? Did you use CP? Were there UPOs present in the air during or after finish application? Are those pimples air bubbles? Did you torch the finish? Did a close relative or close friend sabatoge your work on purpose? What type of turning? What type of finish? How was finish mixed and applied? I agree with the above posts about your work is recoverable and you will get it right with a little practice. In your spare time search this boards archives and read up on some of the topics mentioned and you will soon be highly pleased with your work.

Take a look at the Directory and see if there is a builder listed who lives nearby. Visit - observe - learn - make a friend for life.

Gon 2 Charlotte

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: February 22, 2005 09:52AM

I did use color preserver, I thought the threads were tightly packed, they look like pimples from messing with the epoxy after it started setting, I used Flex Coat Lite, turned the rod 1/3 turn every 5 minutes for the first 1 1/2 hrs., and I didn't torch the finish. If a friend did that they will be dead. I have a mentor, a professional rod builder, I consult with who lives about 1 hour and 15 minutes away in State College, PA. He's advised me graciously. I'm learning and I won't learn it all with one blank. Thanks for all your help and keep it coming.

Posted by: John Dow (---.60.169.215.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 08:29PM

Bill , what are UPOs ??? ....... Unmedicated Pfloating Objects ? LOL

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster