I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Underwrap or not?
Posted by: John Vander Zee (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 07:56AM

I will be building rod numbers 4 through 8 soon for myself and close family. Like the previous three, these will be walleye rods used for casting and jigging, and I will be using 6'3" and 6'6" blanks medium light fast and medium xtra fast from St. Croix- their SCV blanks- and one blank from Loomis. Pricey, but worth the investment.

My first rods were straight wraps and trim wraps without underwraps- great looking rods. I am now a full-blown addict, but it REALLY wasn't my fault. In viewing this wonderful board daily, I have come to a great appreciation for the beauty of many of the board members work as seen in the photo section for guide wraps, particularly those with underwraps.. The question- would underwraps be appropriate for both their looks as well as blank protection for these rods, or should I forget the underwraps on these rods in view of added weight that could compromise performance?

Thanks for all the advice and information.

How I wish I could make it to Charlotte....

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Underwrap or not?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2005 08:52AM

Rods of that description do not need to be underwrapped and they'll perform better without them. Underwraps don't have the ability to protect the blank from anything.

Do make sure that your guide prep is carefully done. Flat guide feet with no sharp burrs on the bottoms.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 09:16AM

I've built a number of rods on the St. Croix SCVs. Those blanks are outstanding for their light weight, and you should build them to keep that weight down. So, no underwraps on those, please.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 09:38AM

John,
Adding weight to a blank has the same effect, in terms of performance, as lowering the modulus of elasticity. There is little point, in my judgement, of taking a high dollar, high modulus blank like the ones you have chosen and then adding the weight of under wraps. You might as well have selected a lower modulus, less expensive blank if you are going to add under wraps. As the others have pointed out the underwraps do little if anything to protect the blank.
If you like the appearance of the under wraps you can use a false under wrap that looks just like a normal underwrap and will add less weight. However, on those blanks I would not. I would use light guides and keep the wraps short to get the best possible performance in terms of casting distance, ease of casting, senitivity and feel.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 11:25AM

I hope I can pull this off with out starting a war or receiving massive attacks for being out of touch with the UP TO DATE methods of rod building but I just finally have to ask some questions. First you guys are right about blank protection, if you prepare your guided properly I doubt there will be any damage. Maybe some some stability to the guide so when it is bouncing around or in the bottom of the boat it doesnt get tweeked . The question to me is the weight part. I am only guessing but I a pretty sure I can get about twenty underwrapped rods out of an ounce of thread, even with color preserver what does that end up with as compared to rod, handle, guides, reel, line and a plug or jig? Can someone give me some figjures I can really sink my teeth into. I am really not trying to be a smart a-- I am just trying to find out what factual change there is in this circumstance. The second area is sensitivity. I fished professionally in bass tours for several years and found that most fishermen both bass and otherwise fell into mostly two catagories. One line feelers and line watchers. Yes you can feel strikes through the rod but do a test I have done hundreds of times at Shows. Take a high end blank hold it against someones adams apple and have them talk, feel the vibration then do the same thing with the same rod with and underwrap, guides and so on. I have foud it nearly impossible to detect a huge difference. Bottom line is I believe our craft is custom based and unless there is something trully detrimental that someone is about to do we should give info without making it sound like one of the ten commandments (set in stone). So John here is my 2 cents worth. No underwraps are not necessary. I am trully unsure what change underwraps would make if you use them. If you think they would add beauty and elevate pride in your workmanship - do it. I know I am going to catch it for this one but then no one has to agree with me either.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2005 11:57AM

Whether or not you'd harm rod efficiency or sensitivity with underwraps has to do with how much weight you're talking about adding, where you're adding it and the overall weight of the rod in question.

A little extra weight, let's say 1/16th ounce total, isn't going to matter much on a stand up or heavy surf rod. You're not increasing the overall weight by more than a tiny fraction of a percent. But on must bass rods, 1/16th of an ounce will make a difference you can actually measure, and feel. (I doubt underwraps on your rod will add quite that much, however.)

How much does some extra thread and little extra finish weigh? More than you'd think. I found that on light rods with small guides, the thread and finish can weigh half as much as the guides. That ratio will drop, of course, as the size of the guides increases.

Emory is working on some figures now that should give us some actual numbers for thread and finish weight and how such weight, along with exactly where on the rod that it's added, will affect overall rod performance. Stay tuned.

Posted by: Nacho Garibay (---.disney.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 04:41PM

Hey all,

Let see:
If Doc can take an ounce of thread to underwrap twenty rods and each rod takes 5 guides, does that mean we divide (20 rods X 5 Guides) 100 underwraps into an ounce to get each underwrap's thread weight. Then take the weight of each wrap thread times the number of guides on the rod and then add the finish coat weight to get the total weight that we added to the rod. Ok, that means to me I need have someone tell me what the weight is for one finish coat. Once I get the finish coat weight I will be able to build a weight model so that we can figure out how much we impact a rod by just putting in the number of guides we put on our rods.
Wow, another great model tools for us rodbuilders. Adding underwarps weights to understand the impact to the rod.

Or can we continue to build a great looking and funtional rods without all of the details. This stuff is way beyond my ablility to understand why I build rods for myself. I like underwraps. Then again, I prefer driving an 1954 Austin Healy 100-4 and not a Corvette. I may be a lttle outdated, but heck, I have a ton of fun.

We forget sometimes we build stuff because we just like to.

Hope you all are able to the humor in this email thread.

Posted by: John Vander Zee (69.45.45.---)
Date: February 22, 2005 04:50PM

I certainly appreciate all the input into the question.

From a physics and mechanical perspective, I can appreciate that a small amount of weight on the end of a fulcrum or lever, (or a fishing rod), for that matter, can translate to a significant effect on the result. As it is, I am already routinely outfished by my wife in walleye by a 3:1 ratio, and I think it has to do with sensitivity. I think my solution will be, therefore, to load up the end of her rod ("But honey, see how pretty all those underwraps, guides, and thick finish are.....) while using the lightest single foot titanium guides with the minimal wraps and finish on mine......

Thanks again.....I cannot tell you how appreciative I am of your efforts in sharing your knowledge.

Best regards,
John Vander Zee

Posted by: Anonymous User (63.146.104.---)
Date: February 22, 2005 05:57PM

NACHO- what kind of 4x4 truck is an AUSTIN HEALY? does it have a cummins turbo diesel in it?

Date: February 22, 2005 08:40PM

John,

It is not a truck, it is a very small English sport car build in the fifties and slow as heck. But when you going 60 miles an hour, you think you going over a hundred.

The wind in you race, the car bouncing around, the door making noise like they are about to open, the motor screaming at 3800 rpm, and it just made you really appreciate living. In fact, back then; Healy used a jeep motor in their cars. But it was a heck of a lot of fun. Like rod building is today.

Posted by: Anonymous User (63.146.104.---)
Date: February 22, 2005 08:53PM

i know what an AUSTIN HEALY is nacho, i was just showing you some redneck humor. i think they're cool to mess with, especially when ya stack em up and drive over em w/BIGFOOT. GIT ER DONE!

Date: February 22, 2005 10:22PM

Nacho,
I used to owned an Austin Healy 100. I must have sold it 30 years ago. It was a really pretty car then and still is today in my judgement. I remember all of the things that you mentioned about it but what I remember most about it was the damn clutch and the damn carburators. The clutch went in about 1/4 inch from completely disengaged to totally engaged and you had to constantly be fussing with the carburators, Webbers weren't they? It had aluminum fenders, hood and trunk lid but a TRACTOR engine and transmission.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 10:30PM

?webber side drafts? I think... never "right" ... just like the old Jags. Constant fiddling

Date: February 22, 2005 11:04PM

Ken,
Yep, I think that is right. I owned that car for several years and I do not think that I ever had the carburators adjusted correctly. If Nacho still owns one he obviously knows something that I didn't know.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 11:41PM

Revenge of the English for the American 6-sided all-bamboo fly rod!

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 11:44PM

John,

I'm not going to get into the debate on to under wrap or not. I underwrap most all my rod except fly rods but I also build heaver rods. Most of my rods are saltwater. I don't have to underwrap them but I do because I like the looks and more important my costumers want them underwraped. If you want to underwrap do so. If you want to underwrap but fear the extra weight then do a false underwrap. A false underwrap is a little more diffacult to do because you have to make sure of your measurments between guide feet is correct. By false underwraping you will add a little more weight but not as much as a full underwrap. Now you have 3 options to choose from. Have fun and do what you think you can live with. If you want to burn some thread take and wrap the blank with the 3 different setup. You will not have the weight of the epoxy but it should give you a feel for what you want.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2005 11:47PM by Milton (Hank) Aldridge.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 02:34AM

So many different ways to do something, so little time... We all said that this is addicting; and there's certainly no set and dried rules. For everything we gain, we might lose a little bit, but it all comes down to the builder and what he really wants to do-it's CUSTOM!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.005.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 23, 2005 03:49AM

For anyone interested they are SU carburetors. Great carby when you balance them properly.

Date: February 23, 2005 01:09PM

To all the fellows that had the pleasure to drive an Austin Healy 100-4,

I never did get the Side draft SU carbs to be in sync with each other, but I did enjoy lowering the front windshield down and driving that car in the California Mountains and up Hwy 101. The sun and wind in your face- Wow that was great.

Do you all recall the electric over-drive, and the reversed pattern three speed, and how hot the floorboard got? I remember going on many day trips in the car, but I never did trust it to get me back home. But it really never did fail me. I recall one time when a freeze pug came out the motor block; I just beat it back into place, added water to the motor and drove home. It was just a fun and easy to maintain car.

That car was like driving a go-kart.

Sorry to distract from the forum, but that car was just plain fun to drive.

Date: February 23, 2005 06:39PM

Nacho,
Do you remember getting in and turning the key and then hoping that you would hear that little click, click, click of the electric fuel pump? If you did not hear it you were not going anywhere and sometimes you would not hear it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster