I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

IM Graphite??????
Posted by: David Banaka (216.64.255.---)
Date: February 21, 2005 10:48PM

I am curious if anyone of the old timers have an answer for what the IM stands for

Example: IM7 graphite

I was told by an old timer in Oregon that back in the day the military was experimenting with graphite and certain resins for a type of light weight armorment. He told me the IM stands for "Improved Military". Heck, it sounds good to me.

Anybady know what it stand for? Just curious.

David Banaka

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IM Graphite??????
Posted by: Daniel Axelrod (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 11:33PM

Intermediate Modulus. Any graphite with an elastic modulus in the range of 36,000 to 45,000 ksi. The number following IM is basically meaningless, as it varies from company to company, for example Cabela’s IM6 is 38,000 ksi while Rainshadow's is around 44,000ksi. Indecently, Cabela's "high modulus" IM7 is also around 44,000ksi, so there is a fair bit of marketing going on with how blanks are labeled.

Posted by: David Banaka (216.64.255.---)
Date: February 22, 2005 12:49AM

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 04:54AM

Your assumption is correct. The term IM originated from the military. Intermediate modulus is a relatively new phrase that means absolutely nothing.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 10:00AM

David,
I have heard both explanations IM=Improved Military and IM=Intermediate Modulus. I am inclined to believe the Improve Military because the suppliers of the prepreg (material used to make blanks) have material that they call IM6, IM7, IM8, etc. but the larger manufacturers of blanks do not use the term because they are not using these prepregs. They are not using them because they can get prepreg that is cheaper that has the same modulus. I think that Daniel and Patrick are also correct that it is now a term that is primarily used for marketing purposes. If you notice these terms are now being used primarily on inexpensive import blanks.

Posted by: David Banaka (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 12:47PM

I know about graphite modules and how the makeup works. I was just curious about the "IM" I pretty much knew about the marketing deal, IM, IMX, and so on. I am a veteran so the IM, Improved Military sounded good to me.

People ask and I like to give an accurate answer.

Thank you all

David Banaka

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 06:14PM

David, I think you asked a good question because it does come up often without any real good answer, and I know others also have the same question on their mind from time to time.. The IM "grade" (IM6, IM7, etc), from what I understand, isn't even relevant to the performance or quality of the rod or the rod materials, suggesting instead, the number designation is the last number of the federal stock number assigned to the material. I use it as loose reference for comparison, but I don't put my faith in it as the sole selection criteria. If you do a search using "improved military" as the criteria, you will find a discussion string from Feb 2003 that does provide additional insight.
A search on the web provided information on improved military, but nothing about the cloth used to build rods. I think if I had a good stock number, I would bet I could fnd something about it on the internet. The bottom line is, whatever designation it is, the stuff has done wonders for the rod building industry. It's a generic military term for everything from gun powder, to weapons systems, to tp.

Patrick Vernacchio

Date: February 22, 2005 07:53PM

For those that want to know a little more about this subject here is some data taken directly from a Cape Composites data book.
IIM# Tensile Modulus(MSI) Tensile Strength(KSI)
IM4 40 600
IM6 40 760
IM7 40 780
IM8 44 790
IM9 42 920

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 08:00PM

Emory....

Typo?? IM8 - 44 @ 790
IM9 - 42 @ 920 --- Should be 52 ??

Date: February 22, 2005 08:28PM

Ken,
No, I looked again. Those numbers are correct. The IM8 has higher modulus but the IM9 has MUCH higher tensile strength. Actually I am a bit surprised that a lot of blanks are not being made from IM9 with that kind of tensile strength. That kind of tensile strength would mean that it had a lot higher strain energy or toughness as well. I looked at the other characteristics of IM9 like strain ratio, tow count and it appears to be an excellent graphite. The only thing that I can guess is that it is very expensive. I do not have the prices.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster