I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuzzies
Posted by: Scott Mumford (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 09:44PM

Just finished wrapping the under wraps and noticed that the wraps looks like a cashmier sweater.
Fuzzy threads over the entire length of each wrap. Is this something that I have done that I have never done before or have I finally found a bad spool of thread. Size A NCP Gudebrod. What if anything can be done to correct my current delema short of rewrapping. I do not feel that burning the fuzzies is an option because of the extent of the problem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuzzies
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 09:53PM

Scott
First pull some directly off the spool. If the thread is defective you should see the fuzzies. What are you using for a tensioning device? Check to see if there is something abrading the thread as it runs through the tensioner. You could try to put color preserver on the wrap but I'm afraid that if singeing off the threads is not an option then you're going to have to cut the wrap off and start over as you'll never truely get rid of them (as severe as you have stated).

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 09:54PM

I've got a spool of thread that does this; looking at the spool, it's all like that. I've just flamed the wraps when done and the wrap has been just fine. And it's full of fuzzies before flaming. I should've sent it back, I know, but I didn't and have learned to live with it.

Posted by: Bill McCrossan (---.gci.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 09:58PM

Scott,
I once had a similar problem but not as severe as yours. On my 1st rod I applied the epoxy on the wraps and then, after it dried I had several bumps on the surface due to thread fuzz. I got myself some 600 grit emory paper and sanded them out with the paper being wet. This left a dull sanded looking surface on the epoxy. Then I applied another coat of epoxy and it worked great. The finished surface was smooth, bright and shiny. Good luck and keep us informed as to your results...

Posted by: Scott Mumford (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 10:36PM

The Tension device is the stock Pac Bay Power Wrapper. I looked at the thread and it does not seem to be defective but who can tell with the eye sight of a 50 year old and getting older. I will be taking apart the tension device to make sure that all is well. I have applied two coats of pera gloss at this time and the fuzzies seem to have laid down. I still have to wrap the guides onto the blank and that should hide more. (same black thread - very carefull inspection anfd attention to detail will have to be taken.) I am going to try to salvage this rod and will rewrap if I have to. Eleven base wraps with three trim bands is a little bit of an investment but not worth a poor looking rod. I am crossing my fingers that I can produce a silk purse from a sows' ear.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 07:25AM

This topic came up here about a year or more ago. Someone who knew said that defective spools sometimes happen at the manufacturing point when the thread feeders are under too much tension (same thing that can happen at our end). I've had one spool like that, a Gudebrod NCP, the whole thing was impossibly fuzzy. Tossed it. Like Ken said, check to see if it's fuzzy on the spool, if it is, pull a good amount off and see if it's fuzzy all the way down (mine was).

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: February 22, 2005 10:09AM

Scott. You didn't mention if you were using a color preservor. I would try flaming, but there is another way. Apply the CP with a thin plastic palette knife, one wrap at a time. After the flooding the wrap, remove as much of the CP as you can with the flat of the palette knife. As the CP set up it, it will be sticky enough to hold the fuzzies flat where pressed down by the palette knife. You want the knife to just drag on the wrap. You can also use varnish this way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster