I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji LBSG guides
Posted by: Nathan Brock (---.mkethn01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 08:03PM

I was wondering what ya'lls opinion is on the maximum line rating Fuji's SiC single foot boat rod guides can handle. I plan on using them in a spiral wrap configuration with the transition guides being double foot, either LRSG's or USG's. I'm really just playing around. Want to see how light I can build an 80# stand-up bottom combo. I plan on using a Graphite USA Dragon blank, Fuji deluxe heavy duty graphite reel seat, and Fuji graphite gimbal.

Thanks,
Nathan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji LBSG guides
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 09:24PM

I stuck HNSG's on a GUSA PRedator, I know guys who have put LBSG's on 100# blanks. What's the worst thing that can happen using these guides, or any other guides?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 09:33PM

Ok ... Here's what my thinking is. The most important attribute in fishing is patience - the angler has to be willing to take the time needed and not over tax the equipment. IMHO the "key" component in fishing the lightest possible gear is the reel - specifically the drag on the reel. People fish for and catch some pretty impressive fish (marlin and tuna) on fly rods - single foot guides, (mostly) single wrapped. Probably the least likely component to fail on any fishing rod is a well made guide.

Posted by: Nathan Brock (---.mkethn01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 11:54PM

That's the same thing I was thinking Billy. I planned to build it anyway, but thought a little reassurance that it won't fail as soon as I bow up into a nice grouper would be nice. It's good to hear you've used them on several heavy rods with success. I plan to underwrap and double overwrap with A thread to help protect the graphite blank. This rod is intended for use as a bottom rod here in the Gulf for grouper and such, so there won't be much playing the fish. It will be a locked down drag fight to get that nice grouper off the bottom before he finds his hole. The reel will probably be a Newell in the 400 size range spooled with 80# Tuff-Line braid.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 12:01AM

NAthan - I'm buildign a stick for something very siilar, a 7' 2-piece Monster Mag which I'll add another piece on teh butt with a Ferruled Fuji seat. Need it for ease in travel, I already have an 8' Monster Mag. I'm "targetting" Mutton's though, not giant Grouper. I have BMNAG's on my 8'er, and am putting ICMNSG's on the 3-piece'r. I have no fear of those guides failing with a Saltiga 40 with 40 or 50# Mono & the drag set at 12-15#'s. I use teh 8'er for Tuna jigging once last year as well, and actually built the rod for Cod jigging in deep water.

I honestly believe the "ratings" on guides have no bearing on actual fishing situations, and make us use heavier guides than we need. Of course if you're gonna bang the rod around, you should use a heavier duty guide, but if not, you could probably get away with using Fuji BLG 10's as the running guides (spiral) w/o a problem just to say "look what I can do" like Stewart from Fox's Mad TV, lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster