I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GLoomis IMX guide spacing
Posted by: Bill McCrossan (---.gci.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 07:38PM

Greetings all,
I am in the process of building a Gloomis fly rod. My blank is model F1085-3slate (This is thier IMX model.) According to The kind folks at Gloomis I am supposed to put a guide at 36 3/4" from the tip top. The top section of this rod is only 37 1/4" long. This puts the guide only 1/2" from the lower end of the top section. (this is a 3 piece rod.) This seems to me to be too close to the end. So, my question is what would the pros do in this situation? Is this an acceptable situation? Should I place the guides at different spacings than GLoomis recommends? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GLoomis IMX guide spacing
Posted by: John Dow (204.60.210.---)
Date: February 21, 2005 08:54PM

Bill , standard practice on multi piece fly rods is to locate a giude on , or as close to the furrel as possible(female side) . The weakest spot on any rod when bent is between two guides , by locateing a guide on the furrel , you reduce the chance of breakage . If you opt to not locate a guide on the furrel , make sure you wrap the furrel 1&1/2 times the dia. of the blank at that point . Look in the library on the top of the page here for the staitc guide placment artical , good reading , as are all of the others . You can also do a search of " guide placment" and you will get a ton of info . Good luck , have fun . JD

Got Fish ?

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster