I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

baitcast reel suggestions
Posted by: Rich Pedro (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 01:29PM

sorry for another topic....

I am looking for a left handed bait casting reel for a 9ft steelie rod I am working on. What do you recommend?

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: baitcast reel suggestions
Posted by: David Banaka (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 01:52PM

I do a lot fo steelhead fishing here in Oregon. The best reel I have found is the Shimano Curado. They run around $120.00 but are well worth it. You will not be disapointed.

David Banaka

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 02:08PM

Make the $ 20 uphill leap and get the Shimana Curado 200 BSF. Fine Fine Fine - wiffle spool and really is Super Free! Or mortgage your house and car ($ 499) then buy the model with the computer chip that is totally back lash free - if you can keep your thumb off the spool it really works!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 02:11PM

The St. Croix Avid round baitcaster is nicely apportioned and very nice operating baitcasting reel. It recently had high reviews in the outdoor magazines. I have use it on musky rods (the larger model) and it performs great. The tolerances and construction remind me of the Morrum ABU reel. I think also it is a reel that should last quite a long time and feels solid. I have these in the store and have had some excellent remarks about them from choosy anglers.

For a low profile reel, the Curado is a good pick. So is the Tica Sculptor.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel email: info@rodreel.com

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 02:52PM

The Shimano Curado 200 BSF is one of the most popular bait casters on the Texas Gulf Coast. It has held up really well in saltwater use. If I had the money I would also buy the Shimano Chronarch in gold but that reel is out of my league.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 04:26PM

The left handed reel would be the Curado 201, in a round reel the Calcutta 251 is a fine reel. If you are staying out of saltwater the Diawa TD-Z103HL or 100ML for more capacity are super smooth and lightweight with their magnesium frames and ceramic spools. The shape is different than other reels and super comfortable to palm all day.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 08:34PM

I am very pleased with the Shimano Conquest 401. It is the Japanse souped up version of the Calcutta TE 401. For about $350 they are much less than that amazing digital reel. It's light, 12.3oz, built to last with great fit and finish. Drilled body and spool and loaded with great bearings. With 300 yds of 30# Power Pro on it still feels light. Building a Perigee 8'3" Steelie Rod for it. This should make a very sweet outfit.

Date: February 21, 2005 09:02PM

DANG!! some very nice reels!!!! now I feel bad for looking at an ABU Ambassadeur 6000
I also have a Quantum AC500PT - isnt that style of reel a bit small??? or is that the "style" reel I should be considering? when comparing to tha ABU i was looking at above?

Thanks for the ideas!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 11:36PM

Rich,
For steelhead your usually using 8 to 12 lb line usually, and they usually stay in the same pool you catch them in.
If I was fishing Canada or the WA peninsula in March for the big natives, I'd use a mag taper medium like Dave suggested, or med heavy moderate action rod with 15 to 20 lb line and a 5601 Abu depending on the gear and water conditions I was put in. Heavy/cold water and the fish of a life time is the time to break out the heavier stuff. Plunking heavy lead also needs a heavier outfit.
The Abu 5000/5601 and 6000/6501 have caught thousands of steelhead, the 5000 with 12 lb line was the most popular combo I saw on the rivers as a boy and I still see them. If Shimano came out with an improved version of the old Shimano Bantam 201 we'd be in high cotton.

Date: February 22, 2005 12:12AM

HI Spencer.

We normally fish for cats, striper & bass... I like the steeelie rods because to me they are great overal nice & sensitive and strong. Ultimately it will be up to Larry to decided how he wants ot use it. I have a 8'6" Rainshadow steelie blank (my 1st build) yesterday I went to the Pier and caught a small shark with it, which was a total hoot!! What really stinks is I'm thinking of breaking it down to re-wrap it.

I will be looking into those shimano's some more :D

-Rich

Posted by: Wayne T. Dye (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 03:47PM

Hi Rich, All the reels mentioned above are good and I have used many of them.I have never fished steelhead, but I do fish Northern Pike and Muskie in the midwest and Canada. I use Ambassaduers in 4601, 5501, 6501. And find them great reels, But my favorites are a Shimano Calcutta 201 or a Shimano Calias 201. If you are going to be getting into fish over about 25# you might consider the 6501 first because of capacity and line size. Although I do have a 40# muskie replica on the wall that the Calcutta handled with no problem. I'm sure that if you stay with good equipment you'll have no problems, just match the reel for the type and size fish you will be fighting.

Wayne

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster