I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Perch Rod Blanks
Posted by: Kyle Caldwell (---.lkwnny.adelphia.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 01:12PM

Any suggestions for a good lake erie perch rod blank??

Kyle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perch Rod Blanks
Posted by: Dick Murchison (204.60.102.---)
Date: February 21, 2005 01:16PM

How big are the perch? If they are as big as what I get on Lake Ontario (8-12" about 1-11/2lb) I just built two 5' ultra lite rods from kits from MudHole. They are St. Croix SC" kits

Hope this will help a little.
Dick

Posted by: RIch Garbowski (Richard's Rod & Reel) (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 02:25PM

St. Croix SCII would be an excellent ecoonomical and performance choice.
Maybe if you're pulling them up from deeper and rougher water out of a boat bigger than a skiff, the 2S60LF would be a choice I'de consider.

Rich Garbowski

Richard's Rod & Reel
St. Croix Blank and American Tackle Rod Components distributor .... More Brand rod building supplies
Personalized and courteous service

email: info@rodreel.com
807-486-0514

Posted by: Kyle Caldwell (---.lkwnny.adelphia.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 03:54PM

Well we try to fish on the nicer days but if you've ever been on lake erie it can go from calm to choppy (or worse) in no time, so maybe the 2S60LF is the way to go.
Thanks,
Kyle

Also if you could tell me what you recommend for guide size as well as how many ill need (I mostly do fly rods) i would greatly appreciate it as this will be a fathers day gift for my father-in-law
thanks again

Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.wi.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 07:23PM

Greetings Kyle,

From your subsequent posts, I see that you have built fly rods. I fish for crappies a lot and occasionally catch a few in the 12 -13" range, weighing over a pound. I use a 3S70ULF St Croix blank with spinning style guides and a spinning reel seat. The rod works great for whipping tiny jigs out a ways and handles the fish fighting just fine. The local guides and client like te rod because it is gentle enough to not rip the hook out of a crappie's soft mouth when fighting the fish. Just make sure to use a net when landing the fish so as not to put too much stress on the tip by lifting the fish into the boat. And, make sure to use enough guides to distribute the stress evenly over the top third of the rod.

I recommend this approach since flipping the 1/32 oz jigs out with a short rod does not work nearly as well. I also have som 5'6'' rods but only use them for vertical fishing and drift fishing where no casting is required. These are also built on ultralight blanks.

Just some food for thought.

Skip

Posted by: Dick Murchison (204.60.102.---)
Date: February 21, 2005 08:58PM

Kyle,
I would take Skips advice over mine, as I am new at this. I can relate to the water conditions, as on Lake Ontario, it can go from glass to tidal wave in minutes!!!

Dick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster