I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spey rod for surf fishing
Posted by: bill hartlage (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 03:06PM

I wonder if a spey rod would make a good rod for fishing the surf in fla. for baby tarpon etc when the wind comes up. maybe a 13 ft 9/10

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spey rod for surf fishing
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 05:56PM

Are you planning on making a surf rod - plugging & / or bait or are you actually looking for a saltwater fly rod (something that will toss
under 1oz to 1.5 oz)? If you're looking for a heavy fly rod type of blank I'd take a really hard look at the Rainshadow RX-7's salmon/steelhead rods. There are a couple of beefy ones listed - one with a butt diameter of just over .7 that looks pretty nice. Also you might want to check on
the MudHole site - they may have a left over Cascade blank that will suit you.

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.or.charter.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 09:10PM

Some "Spey" rods are suitable for salt water applications, some are not.

90% of the time the rod will be asked to deliver extreme advanced grain weight forward shooting head line systems, utilizing two handed overhead deliveries.

The shooting head belly lengths will generally be in the 35 to 40 ft. range, and for the 9/10 wt rod will generally be in the 600 to 750 grain range.

The rods most suitable for this will be fast to fast/medium fast recovery, progressive tapers and progressive actions.

Two handed fly rod blanks that fall within this catagory are somewhat limited.

Examples would be a few of the T&T two handed blanks, in particular the 12X12.

...Some of the new Sage TCR two handers do also fall into this catagory of action and recovery speed.

We (R.B. Meiser Fly Rods) have spent the past 5 years developing blanks for this specific application.

From 10'~ 5/6 wt to 13' ~ 12/13 wt. meeting a broad range of two handed overhead salt water applications.

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Jon Tobey (---.fsea1.hawkcommunications.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 11:17PM

As a spey fisher, I was thinking about this just yesterday wile I was trying to anchor my spey casts in fast water. I think it would be really hard to make a good spey anchor in surf. Now, I've heard of 2-handend overhead rods for surf-fishing, where you tuck the rod under the arm after the cast and strip in with both hands. I suppose you could use a spey blancfor this. Oh, crap, just saw Bob's post. Can't add to that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster