I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pacific Bay Reel Seat
Posted by: Matt Koloch (---.50.73.226.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 09:00AM

I'm fairly new to rod building. I'm building a rod for my father. I ordered him a pacific bay woven graphite reel seat. Well this is the first seat I got that wasn't a one piece deal. This seat has four pieces. I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with. There is an insert for the reel seat, which I didn't account for, so my arbors don't fit. But I can fix that problem, if need be. My main question, do I have to assembly the components on the insert? Or can I assembly the components with the blank? I appreciate the help.

I love this site and if it wasn't for this site, I'd be wondering aimlessly around the rod building world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pacific Bay Reel Seat
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2005 09:11AM

I haven't seen that particular seat but I suspect you can do it either way. You may find it easier to mount the seat barrel to the blank and then mount the barrel and hoods to that, just for the sake of making hood alignment easier.

Make sure to carefully mock everything up and measure where things need to be if you do it this way.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 10:17AM

You don't have to use the insert, but it does help in keeping everything aligned to each other. Just gotta make the arbors a bit smaller. I find it easier to assemble everything on the blank, but there's nothing wrong with glueing it all together off the blank for mounting at a later time.

Posted by: Joel Todd (---.nas6.chicago4.il.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 11:21AM

I have built 3 rods using these woven graphite reel seats this winter.I glued up all 4 pieces using Rodbond off the rod.What I did was to glue everything together,put it in a c-clamp,snugged it up a bit.Then I used a reel to make sure the hoods lined up alright.Removed the reel and tightened up the clamp some more and let dry overnight.
I used a flexcoat arbor by reaming it to fit the blank.Then I sanded it down so the glued up reel seat fit over it.Joel

Date: February 18, 2005 11:32AM

This is what I wanted to do. Put the assembly together off the rod, let it dry then mount on the blank in a conventional manner. Can I just use my regular two part epoxy (I believe flex-coat) or is this 'Rodbond' a better glue for this purpose?

Posted by: Richard E. Case (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 01:32PM

Matt,

I think there are pros and cons on using Epoxy as an adhesive. Some would say that epoxy is not an adhesive, that it is just a coating that sticks things together well, but does not bond two parts together. I don't know for sure. I use epoxy quite often to secure component reel seats together. Most like to use the rod bond because it is thicker and won't run. I prefer the epoxy and have never had a rod come back because the reel seat or anything else let go. I am sure that you will get other answers to your question, so hang in there and maybe this answer and others will help you decide the way to go.

Rick Case
RodsByRick

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 01:37PM

Use Rod Bond. Regular Flex Coat or any other finish is just that, a finish, not an adhesive.

Date: February 18, 2005 01:57PM

[shop.mudhole.com]

That is what I have to use currently. Should I still be using the rod bond?

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 05:13PM

Matt , if the rodbuilders glue is what your using ( I went to the link ) then your all set . I use a number of those seats and I do as Mick described , but the other methods work too . I just like to mix one batch of glue ........guess I'm lazy ? JD

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 08:33PM

Matt, as long as the bottles say Rod Building Epoxy Glue, you'll be fine. I used FC epoxy glue for a long time with no problems. Very good stuff. FC finish is also an epoxy, but it's not an adhesive, so if you just say the word "epoxy", many times people will not be sure of what you mean.

Last year I gave Rod Bond a try and won't go back. It's a paste so it is far less messy. It doesn't run or drip so you get a much nicer result with less cleanup and babysitting. I've never noticed that it is any stronger than the FC stuff, but it's a breeze to work with.

John, that is exactly why I like to do those seats all at once on the rod! One less step I have to deal with. Mixing epoxy isn't that hard, but I am that lazy too. I throw a reel in too like Joel does to make sure it's lined up right (after any wicks are cleaned).

Also Matt, what I like to do is to with the arbors is to fit the arbor that will be on the "static" hood about 1/3 to 1/2 into the sleeve, the rest to the hood. The static hood on these seats is the weakest spot so you want to make sure it's supported well.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 10:12PM

I'm a little hesitant to put a reel in the seat , even if it's clamped , I get the funny feeling in my tummy that somthing is not going to turn out right ......... just me I think , I dont want the seat to separate when I tighten up the ring . Just my thoughts........ JD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Joel Todd (---.nas32.chicago3.il.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 08:27AM

One reason I glued it up off the rod was that I did up 4 of these reel seats at one time.Regular epoxy glue should work out just fine.These make for some sharp looking reel seats.Joel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster