I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly casting question
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 06:03PM

I am a right handed caster. When using spinning or casting rods, I will make my cast and switch the rod to my left hand to work the lures.
However, on a fly rod, I will make my cast and continue working the fly with my left hand. Is there any set method in fly fishing as to which hand should hold the rod while working the fly. As it is now I will hold the rod in my right hand until I have to use the reel handle and then switch the rod to my left hand. It is something that I have always wondered about. Sometimes I will forget that I am using a fly rod and jerk a small fish right out of the water on a hook set.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly casting question
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-54-55rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 06:19PM

when i began fly fishing i was taught to cast right and wind right handed. for many years that was the traditional method. not sure exactly why but one explanation i heard was that
since a fly reel is a one to one ratio you have to wind rather fast when the fish is on the reel and you have more coordination winding right handed. you can wind faster and smoother. i still fish that way. cast right handed and move the rod to my left when i get the fish on the reel. it is perfectly comfortable for me. it might be awkward for someone who does a lot of spin fishing where he winds left handed and holds the rod in his right hand. most modern fly reels can be set up for right or left hand wind. do what feels most comfortable for you. it is perfectly acceptable to cast right and wind left.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 06:22PM

Ellis
There is no set method that I know of after 60 years of fishing with a fly rod. Find a method that you are comfortable with and that gives you control of your rod. Why don't you adjust your reel to reel left handed as most righthanders do with a spinning rod? This saves the need to switch hands with the rod.
Stan

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: February 17, 2005 07:00PM

Thank you gentlemen.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 07:04PM

I would do what ever is comfortable with you. I am right handed and hate to switch hands to reel with a casting reel. I prefer to use left handed casting reels so I can cast with my right and reel with my left and all of ms spinning reels are set to reel with left hand,

Mike

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: February 17, 2005 07:55PM

I used to cast my fly rod right handed, and then reel left-handed. That meant that the fly rod was in my right hand all day long. However, I've started getting my fly reels in right hand retrieve. The reason I've started doing this is fatigue. I discovered that I can fish much longer if I hold the rod to cast with my right hand, then switch it to the left hand to fight the fish (and consequently, reel with the right hand). It sounds like it wouldn't make all that much difference, but when you spend all day making long casts with sinking lines, that bit of rest while fighting the fish helps a lot.

Date: February 17, 2005 08:14PM

I do the same as you Andy and it feels fine so I will continue with a right handed reel set-up. Most of the fish I catch are small bass and bream and I use my line to bring them in. This year I plan to really get serious about fly fishing in saltwater so maybe I will catch something that will put me on the reel. Even the saltwater fish I have caught so far have been small.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 08:29PM

Larry had the right answer reel wise. When all the reels were direct drive or lower multipliers the right hand was selected as the reeling hand because you can spin the reel 6 to 8 per cent faster with that hand, that is also why the handles were shorter than they are now, you can spin a small diameter circle faster than a large diameter circle with your reeling hand. Now that's pretty much a mute point with the high speed casting reels of today, so I use mostly left handed reels as Larry does.

Spencer

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 10:18PM

Lefty Krey says you should both cast AND reel with your dominant hand. The way he explains it makes a lot of sense!

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 11:08PM

Hi Ellis,

That's why they make fly reels that can be switched to reel with either hand. The only thing you might want to remember is when building fly rods for people that reel such as you is to put the hook keeper on the opposite side as the handle. Helps keep line from hooking on it.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.avci.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 06:58AM

On a fly rod, I cast right handed and handle the line with my left hand including playing fish on the line. When I have to go to the reel, I switch hands and hold the rod with my left, winding with my right. The reason I wind with my right is that the reel handles are on the right side. I like them over there so they are out of the way of the line. A few years ago, I thought about this and actually switched a reel to a left handed wind. For some reason, when in the stream, it felt unnatural to me and seemed the line kept getting hung up on the handles.

I switched the reel around to my old normal way and decided that it was best not to fool around with Mother Nature.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.4.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 07:06AM

Try ballancing the rod better with more weight at the end, maybe a heaver seat. Also try a larger handle. The ones they make today I think are to skinny. I make mine about 1 1/4 plus in size OD
Also the shape of the handle can be made to fit the hand better. Every little bit helps

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 18, 2005 10:58AM

Ellis. I am basically right handed. However, I always reel with the hand not holding the rod on the cast. I cast right handed with a spinning rod, left handed with a casting rod, and either hand with a fly rod. Some fly rods I cast better on the left (I first learned to cast left handed on the fly rod) and so set the reels up for right hand retrieve. If the rod casts just as well on the right, I set it up for left hand retrieve. This way I can equalize the fatigue over the course of a day and match the wind conditions, as it is often easier to cast on one side or the other. I consider it nonsensical to switch hands after you cast. If you are strongly right handed, set up your reel for a left hand retrieve. You will be totally used to it in a few outings.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: February 18, 2005 12:34PM

I could never understand why someone would cast right AND reel right with any rod (unless that was all the reel choice available...perhaps on someone else's boat).

I still don't get it.

Sorry....

Keith

Posted by: Howard Thiery (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 11:40AM

it's only my experience but I have seen people lose fish on the switch of hands because they didn't keep slack out of their line....I have seen this not once or twice but many times and many different people...I know this is only anecdotal but I just can not see any reason to swtch hands and those that say they reel better/faster/stronger with their dominant hands...well that surprises me since it is a gross motor action not a fine one and there should not be enough of a difference in your handedness for that type of motion.

just my two cents....which in this economy would only be worth half a penny

Howard

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster