I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

11' 6" Switch Rod Grip Style
Posted by: Robert Ketley (---.ci.watsonville.ca.us)
Date: February 17, 2005 03:13PM

I am currently building an 11' 6" 8/9 wt rod for overhead/underhand fly casting. The rod would be used for distance casting with shooting heads in the CA surf. I am not sure which grip style would best suit this rod and application.

I don't think I need a full spey grip, but doubt that simply adding a 6" lower grip to a standard single hand rod grip would work either. From looking at pictures of similar rods, a grip with almost equal length upper and lower grips seems popular. Is this the best design?

Your thoughts?

Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 11' 6" Switch Rod Grip Style
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 04:34PM

I built a Gloomis GLX 11'6" 8/9wt a few years ago and didn't like the spey type grips or a long fighting butt so I took two full wells grips, cut the bottm end off of one, cut the top of off the other that had the reel seat insert, (measured for equal diameters before cutting to minimze sanding) aligned them on a dowel, and glued the cut ends together. I wound up with a "double hump" full wells grip that's just over 12 " long. I added the large Sage type fighting butt and it's real comfortable to plant the butt in your gut and hold on with both hands above the reel. I just thought that with one hand below and one above the reel would be like a push-pull affect and wear me out too quickly. My setup is really comfortable when I hook a big Salmon. The overall length from the butt to the winding check is almost identical in length to their factory rod. I can email you a picture if you're interested.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-56-58rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 05:12PM

I built a similar rod and had the same delema. i took a n pre made cork spinning handle from anglers workshop. it was 12" long. i cut off the end where the end cap goes and re-shaped it some to suite me. ended up about 10" long. i did a similar thing with the extension handle and made it 8" long. built the extension handle on a pac bay 5" fighting butt core extended to 8".

Posted by: John Dow (---.60.169.247.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 09:16PM

Robert , I just completed a 10'6" 6wt for 2 handed casting in smaller rivers with no backcasting room . I talked to Bob Meiser as to the constuction of the handle ( and blank , guides, spaceing....) and I ended up with 10 3/4" fore , and 5" rear grips . Bob was a super guy to talk shop with , I suggest giving him an e-mail , and see if you could have a chat with him ............ it's worth it , he's a great guy with the 2 handed stuff . His site is on the left in the sponsors, R.B.Meiser Rods. JD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Sean Herrera-Thomas (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 01:24AM

I recently modified an REC spey foregrip--their spey grip set is still on sale, btw--by taking 4" out of the middle and gluing the ends together. This is pretty much what Tim Collins did. The difference would be that the REC grip would give you a thicker grip in the middle. I put mine on a 12' 5wt and it worked really well. On my 10'6" switch, though, I did what Larry Pirrone describes above. Went with a spinning grip and put the tapered well at the top--this is a more comfy grip for fishing flies on the swing. Whichever route you go, I recommend setting up a cork clamp to help keep your glue lines sharp.

Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: February 18, 2005 09:44AM

Robert,

I just built a 11'9" 7 wt for light spey rod stuff. I went with 4.5" behind the seat and about 9.5 or 10" in front. It is about the right length for me to single hand or double hand cast the rod with overhead or spey presentations.

Sean,

Where are the REC spey sets on sale? I couldn't find it on the website.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Sean Herrera-Thomas (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 10:54AM

Rick,

Go to "Products," then ""Cork Products--Grips and Rings."

[www.rec.com]

--sean

Posted by: Robert Ketley (---.ci.watsonville.ca.us)
Date: February 18, 2005 11:41AM

Great responses. I think I know where I want to go with this project now.

Cheers,

Rob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster