I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Changing color of insert
Posted by: Brandon Jackson (---.sip.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 16, 2005 05:46PM

I am building a blue blank and wanted to see if their was an easy process to change the color of a finished reel seat insert. I have a prefinished light maple reel seat insert it almost looks white and I wanted to color it blue. What process would you use?
Here's what I thought:
1) sand the finish off the insert--but how much?
2) soak the insert in coloring solution (RIT)--how long?
3) let the insert dry--again how long?
4) resand and refinish

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Changing color of insert
Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: February 16, 2005 05:53PM

Turn it down a bit (.030) , wrap it with thread ( close to your intended color) , and give it a coat of epoxy with pigment of your color choice . There is an artical in one of the Rodmaker mags ,or you can have Putter marble it for you too . JD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 16, 2005 06:00PM

Personally, I thing marbleing would be the way to go. I have marbled several and really liked them
Do like John said

Mike

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 16, 2005 06:04PM

Is the wood insert completely round or is it mortised? If it's completely round, you can do as John recommended or sand it enough to remove the finish and then use one of the commercially available tinted stains. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Rit dye will do the job. If it's mortised, you can still sand it down, but it will be a lot harder to get all the finish off.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 11:16AM

Maybe grab a scrap piece of the same wood and try the dye on it?

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: February 17, 2005 11:52AM

I know a few guys who dye their inserts, and they swear by leather dyes (of the sort shoemakers would use). Haven't tried it myself, though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster