I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Coatings Finish Part 2
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 04:16PM

The calls are still coming so if any of you can let me know the name and part #what you are all wanting I will resume carrying it, if I can- I have spoken with Epoxy Coatings and they do have a new UV finish but it is strictly used by the manufacturers as the equipment to set it costs in the thousands of $'s,Call or e-mail and let me know---
Thanks-
Karen
Bingham Enterprises

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Coatings Finish Part 2
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2005 04:23PM

I don't think many of these rod builders know exactly what the UV cured finishes are all about. We reviewed one type in a past issue of RodMaker. It's not an ideal product for custom builders and as you say, it requires a special UV light box/unit in order to set/cure the finish.

The "1-Coat" two part epoxy is a 20 year old product. An excellent product, but maybe not in line with many of the newer type epoxies these days. The "2-Coat" product, is a two part urethane coating. It's also a 20 year old product. It has some interesting uses but there are some drawbacks to it as well. I used it on bamboo rod wraps back in the 80's.

The required larger quanities and somewhat outdated formula is the main reason that so few dealers carry these products. Try them if you like, but don't expect anything earthshattering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2005 04:58PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 04:46PM

Karen,
Epoxy Coatings Co website doesn't list any part numbers. The name of the stuff is "1 Coat Rod Finish", just like it shows on your website. If it's only available in gallon quantities though, I' m not sure many people will be interested.

We all appreciate your help.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 05:09PM

Okay everyone here is the latest news on Epoxy Coatings Products-
1 Coat Rod Finish 32oz kit
Crystal Clear Epoxy 32oz. kit

These are the products that I have been receiving inquiries on- these items are ONLY available in 32oz kits or larger. I will have pricing available to those who e-mail me direct . Do not go by the prices on my website as I was told there has been an increase since the 1st of the year.

Thank you Gerry for the kind words.

So if anyone is still intersted let me know and I will get you taken care of and Epoxy Coatings thanks you all for the e-mails and has re-directed them back to me.

Thank you-
Karen
Bingham Enterprises

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 06:05PM

To clarify this "1 Coat" a bit; it is the same NAME as the older finish but it is a new, re-formulated product. When this was done, I'm not exactly sure. This is a 2 part epoxy finish and you can read about it on Bingham's site. It is an up to date and modern product. It is very different than the older finish. I have both of these still in my shop; the new doesn't even smell like the older; it is very different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2005 06:07PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2005 09:25PM

Thanks for the info. It's odd though, as the folks who make it claim it has not been changed. I'll speak with them tomorrow and see if I can clear it up.

I do know why they only sell in large quantities, however. When I last reviewed their finish I was told that they did not want to deal with custom rod builders, thus they were cutting out the smaller sized kits. They don't have anything personal against custom builders, but because they deal with large rod manufacturers they're used to dealing in much larger quantities and don't feel it's worth their while to package 4 and 8 ounce kits.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 10:00PM

I always had wondered why I didn't see this stuff "out in public", Tom. What you're saying makes a lot of sense to me. It might be more trouble than it's worth for the average builder to get his hands on?? I sure like this stuff, though...

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.olive.dsl.arctic.net)
Date: February 16, 2005 03:14AM

I am assuming that the reason why a number of finish manufacturers sell it in gallon size (and larger), is because the stuff is used in large quantities to build molds for such things as camper tops, fiberglass boat hulls, and other such things. At least that is what a local company in Anchorage uses a two part finish called Crystal Sheen, for.
It think it is fortunate for us rodbuilders that several smart guys running companies such as Flex-Coat and U-40, had the foresight to envision these products for the rodbuildering industry (which I include the custom rodbuilders). Personally, I'm happy with the well-known products like Flex-coat and Perma Gloss, although, I use Chrystal Sheen often as well.
Patrick Vernacchio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster