I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod nick
Posted by: Howard Handorf (204.211.96.---)
Date: February 15, 2005 02:49PM

OK I have been lurking for some time and reading (by my mistake not listing to the great advice). I'm refinishing a 6'6" browning rod I had to save my butt off to buy in 1986. Any ways I was taking the old guides off and taking off old epoxy when I nicked a small sliver of graphite from the blank. It now in between guides (exposed) after I rewrapped. This is not a custom show rod; it is just a great rod from my past that I want to be able to keep fishing. My thoughts were to just wrap thread and epoxy (it is at the upper end of the blank).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod nick
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 03:09PM

Did you actually get into the graphite or just the clear coat finish? If all you did take a nick out of the clear coat, or tinted coat, it shouldn't be a big deal. If the sliver actually contains graphite fibers the rod had been compromised and could break at any time, usually when you least want it to do that.

Date: February 15, 2005 04:05PM

It looks like a graphite fiber about 1/2 or a 1/4 as thick as "A" thread and about 1/4" long. I'm just sick about it! When I run my fingers over the spot I can feel a small grove

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 04:49PM

I don't really know, but I'm not sure you could see a single graphite fiber. If what you're describing is the total piece of "whatever" that came off the rod, I sort of doubt that you got into the graphite. But, there are a lot of people around here smarter about that than I am.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 05:46PM

Howard,

If you think you knicked the graphite and weakened the rod I'd place a fiberglass sleeve on the effected area. If the knick is located in a small diameter area use an over sleeve - If in a large diameter area cut the blank where the damage is and use an inner sleeve. Either way use Fiberglass for the sleeve material not graphite.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2005 06:13PM

I have had this happen to me, and this is what tempered the advice I gave on a previous post on this topic.

It is easy to lift a sliver of material off the blank. In one instance I epoxied the graphite sliver back on and wrapped it tightly with thread. Some time later I removed the thread and lightly sanded the area smooth - repair is invisible under a guide underwrap and has held fine up over the years., even while placing severe loads on the rod ;-).

Had yet another rod in the shop that had similar damage cause when the owner "did me a favor" and removed the guides himself. A 3-inch long shallow sliver of grahite had come off when he knicked the material with a razor while removing the guides. I re-wrapped the rod without paying any attention to the nick, and that rod has also held up ok - it has not broken after several years of use, even with the missing graphite. .

Of course these were shallow nicks, some material was lost, but not alot. I agree that less material, a nick in this case, makes the rod weaker at that point. How much weaker I dont know. The two rods with nicks I have worked on are still being fished to this day, so damage was not bad enough to limit normal fishing.

Personally, I would leave well enough alone and would only sleeve it only if it breaks. Maybe in the meantime you can consider an underwrap to help support the blank in that area.

Lou

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 07:50PM

Howard, A few years back, I rebuilt a GLoomis GL2 HS1023, which I think is on par with IM6, though not quite sure. Anyway, I litterally hacked the heck out of the rod while removing the guides, removing slivers of rod everywhere. An old pro I spoke to told me that the modulus in IM6 and lower are thickly encased with resin, requiring some pretty deep hacking to cut graphite fibers. I don't know what you felt when you ran your finger over it, but it is pretty unlikely you felt a graphite strand. I fish that hacked-up rod every season and haven't experienced a failure, yet.
I hope yours fishes the same. Good luck.

Patrick Vernacchio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2005 07:52PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Date: February 16, 2005 08:09AM

Thanks for the advise, like I said it was a very shallow sliver. The rod is a browning medalist light action rod, I remeber the rod list for $60 at a store in 1985 I waited and waited until the price dropped and picked it up, that rod has been all over North America with me and I want to keep on using until one of us breaks. I decided to wrap over the nick and epoxied it last night. If any of my budies ask me about the wrap with no guide on it I will say it is a custom wrap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster