I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Worst Case Scenario
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: February 15, 2005 01:31PM

What would be the worst case scenario of finishing a rod in a room that's around 62 degrees.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Worst Case Scenario
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 01:38PM

Worst Case: After four hours you walked back in the shop and stuck your finger in the finish to see if it was dry - realized what you had done - reached for a nitro pill to get control of heart rate - bottle empty - arythmia at 180 - had an accident with a state police car while on route to emergency room!! A small heater - electic - is cheap compared to all this trauma!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2005 01:50PM

The finish will be thick and somewhat difficult to manage. You'll have plenty of pot life, of course, as it will take about half again as long to set up and cure as it would if you were in a room that was 72F.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 01:55PM

When in doubt, do a wet run. That is, mix some epoxy (it's cheap) and apply it to a pencil or whatever, which you can wrap with thread or not, as you please. In my 35 years in a laboratory, about half that time was spent doing "practice experiments", before I wasted (and ruined) the important stuff. Unfortunately, I wasted and ruined some important stuff anyway, but not as much as if I hadn't practiced!

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 03:32PM

My basement in winter stays around 62 deg, I used to heat it but this winter have not. I use Crystal Coat which is like flex coat. I t may take longer to set up but I haven't really noticed as I don't touch them till the next day anyways. Can't imagin you'll have a problem unless other finishes react differently

Posted by: KEITH BURNETTE (---.roa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2005 05:30PM

I LEAVE THE HEAT DOWN IN MY SHOP WHEN I PLAN TO FINISH IN WINTER BECAUSE I GET MORE POT LIFE AND PLENTY OF TIME FOR THE FINISH TO LEVEL. I USE LS HI BUILD MOST OF THE TIME OR FLEX COAT HI BUILD. EITHER ONE WORKS GOOD IN 60 TO 65 DEGREE TEMP. LS HAS LONGER POT LIFE IMO. IF YOU DON'T GO REALLY COLD YOU CAN'T STOP THE EPOXY FROM HARDENING, BUT THERE IS NO HURRY AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE ROD TURNING ON A DRYER.
KEITH

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 07:28PM

Hello Bruce
Consider using PermaGloss it will cure just fine at that temperature. Another thought is to use LS Supreme High Build and turn it by hand in a your heated living quarters. The down side could be dust particles or pet issues or ? I have demonstrated this several times and have turned rods by hand that were repaired at fishing camps. U40 LS Supreme High build is very easy to work with and will level just fine when turned 180 deg at a time using a real expensive dryer like a card board box with notches in it that are fairly level. At 69 to 70 deg F it is necessary to turn it for about 1 hour assuming you used about 15 to 20 minutes of pot life to let any bubbles to disipate and put it on the rod. You could also use an incandesent lamps near the windings to provide heat and most any epoxy will cure just fine in a cool room.
Sincerely
Joe Kassuba

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster