I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Building Finishes
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 10:43AM

In the past several days I have been getting requests for a long time "old" favorite Epoxy Coating Finish- it is a very good finish but with the coming of the likes such as FlexCoat, U40, GlassCoat, Gudebrod and American Tackle finishes this one has become more or less a "white elephant", at least for me in terms of sales. Back in the early 90's it was available in small 4 and 8oz. kits but later became available only in 32oz. kits, which most users do not want that large an amount but we did continue to offer it to the larger companies who could use that size but found that they were switiching to other brands themselves. So with all this in mind we will no longer have Epoxy Coatings on our website.
All the brands that are now readily availalbe work great and I know each of you has your own favorite that works well for you.
Thank you -
Karen Hapka
Bingham Enterprises,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Building Finishes
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2005 11:43AM

I used the Epoxy Coatings One-Coat as well as the "Helor-High Water" urethane type. The former was a good two-part epoxy that competed in the early days of Flex Coat and Diamond II. It was a good finish, but somewhat brittle. It's the only epoxy I ever used that tended to crack on areas away from the very edge of the guide feet. But it was easy to use.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 01:41PM

Their New formula is awesome and everyone that has been testing it has been raving about it Sorry to hear that you are dropping it , Karen. Nothing on the market right now that I have tried compares to it for looks and ease of use! They have a 1 coat and 2 coat If you contact them, they will send you a sample [www.epoxycoatingsco.com] Hopefully, If enough people like it, a sponsor will consider carrying it!!!! I'm convinced!!! (no matter what size I have to buy)

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 02:56PM

The newer formulation is quite a bit different than the old stuff. I still have a bit of the old stuff and love it for marbling when I want starker contrasts because it's such a thick finish. This newer formulation is very much different than the older; it's VERY user-friendly stuff.

Putter

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 03:49PM

I guess I could set up a sponsor ship here and contact them for the product if no one else will...

Date: February 15, 2005 04:28PM

I think there's some mis-understandings going on here. Nothing on the site is new in any way. What people seem to be calling the "new" finish is actually the original two-part urethane coating. The "1-coat" is the same stuff that they've been selling for 20 years. Good stuff, but overshadowed by a lot of what else is out there now.

If I've overlooked something I apologize, but there is a reason why these products are not handled by many people.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 16, 2005 07:50AM

From the reading I did on their site, this stuff sounds to good to be true. Sets up in an hour? No screwing around with bubbles? OK what's the drawbacks? There has to be someting wrong with this stuff. Does it get brittle and flake off? I don't want to spend 6 hours on a complex butt wrap and have the finish flake off and all that work goes to down the tubes.

Anyone have any problems with this stuff?

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 16, 2005 07:50AM

Not too sure what happened with the double post here? Gave me and error and I hit refresh and lo and behold two posts. Didn't think it would send it with that error?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2005 07:57AM by Scott VanGuilder.

Date: February 16, 2005 09:38AM

The stuff you're referring to is an old two-part urethane. Thin as varnish, tough but somewhat hard to work with. Yes, there are fumes that need to be ventilated and it cannot be heated in order to remove bubbles. I'd use PermaGloss over the Helor-High Water stuff any day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster