I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim band on ferrules - add before or after normal wrap?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2005 10:26AM

When wrapping the female ferrule ends, all of the photos I've seen including Tom's RodMaker article on "Ferrule Alignment Marks" wrap TOWARDS the ferrule end. The reason being I believe is wrapping on an increasing diameter helps "pack" the thread against the previous wrap. But if you want a 3-5 wrap metallic trim band at the beginning of the ferrule opening, what is the preferred procedure for wrapping?

With mild arthritis, a numb upper index finger, and poor eyesight the only way I've been able to do this is to wrap the trim band first, move it to the end of the ferrule, snug up the tags, and put a drop of CP to hold the tags where they exit the band. After it dries I trim the tags, and start wrapping next to and away from it and then constanly pack the wraps back toward the band/ferrule opening.

If I add a band to the guide wrap, I always do it last. The only other way for a ferrule wrap I can think of would still wrap the trim band first, and start the regular wrap towards the band and end the wrap right at the edge of the band - how does everyone else do it? And when wrapping next to the winding check, one would have to wrap away from it and onto a continual decreasing diameter towards the hookkeeper. Any expertise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim band on ferrules - add before or after normal wrap?
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (162.136.193.---)
Date: February 15, 2005 12:47PM

I probably work a little harder than I should at this one but it works for me. I put a narrow band of masking tape (width of my trim band) on the end of the ferrule, begin my main wrap up against the tape while capturing my trim wrap threa under the maind, in my case, main wrap to the right, trim to the left. The trim stays on a spool and as I wrap the main the trim thread loosely wraps around the rod. When the main is done I reverse the rod turn to unravel the trim, remove the tape and wrap the trim up against the main. You could also cut a long piece of trim and capture as indicated above then wrap the trim by hand, I've tried it once but still feel more comfortable with keeping the trim on a spool.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2005 07:14PM

After reading Ray's response over a few times, I understand how he does it. However, having the tag for the trim band under the begining of the main wrap, one would have to assume that CP is used on the regular wrap to keep the trim tag from showing through. Since I like wraps with no CP, this procedure is not going to work for me, but it does have it's merits. Thanks Ray.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 07:33PM

Tim: For what it's worth, I do it your way also: wrap a stand-alone trim band, move it right up to the lip of the ferrule, apply a bit of CP with a toothpick (the metallic trim does not change with the CP), trim the tag ends, then do the main wrap, working out and packing back. The way I do the stand-alone trim, I can keep it as tight as necessary, and this is what you want to do to protect the ferrule anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster