I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel question - a bit off topic
Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: February 14, 2005 02:53PM

Hi all. I know this is not quite rod building but I need some advice. I have ordered a Rainshadow IP844 blank and components to build for my father-in-law and have realized that the reel he wants to put on it is too big (a Mitchell 302). What are some good reels, that won't break the bank, to put on this rod for inshore saltwater fishing? What are good blanks to match the Mitchell? I'm assuming that a longer (~10') surf rod would be more appropriate. As you can tell I don't know much about spin fishing as all my time on the water is devoted to fly fishing. I apologize for being a bit off topic but I need some help to fix this screw up of mine.

Thanks,

Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel question - a bit off topic
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 03:10PM

That 7-footer is designed to take 8-17# line and to throw 1/4 to 3/4 oz lures. For rods in that class I'd use a Shimano 4000 size reel, such as the Shimano Stradic 4000, a favorite of many. (I personally would not put 17# line on, I'd go usually with 10 or 12#.)

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 03:14PM

I agree with Tom, the Shimano Stradic 4000 is a good choice. I use one on a 7' myself. Another shimano reel would be the Spheros 4000. You could also look at the Penn slammer 360 or 460. Hope this helps.

Tony

Posted by: Nathan Brock (---.mkethn01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 04:38PM

Take a look at a Quantum Kinetic, Catalyst, or Energy PTi 40. Depending on how much you are looking to spend, one of these three will suit your needs very well. I know a number of guys down here in Florida have been trading in their Stadics for the new Quantum reels.

Nathan

Posted by: Lou Perez (---.nyc2.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 04:44PM

I would try a Daiwa Tournament SS 1600. I use the 2600 on a 9ft Plugging Stick in the surf and these reels are awesome. Very braid friendly. lightweight, awesome drag, and the body is graphite so it wont corrode.

Lou

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 06:33PM

Another "thought" on a reel you might consider is the Shimano 3500B baitrunner. Nice sealed ball bearings and with the baitrunner feature he can live-line or drop chunks in a chum slick for blues, stripers etc.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 07:34PM

I second the the suggestions made by Nathan for the Quantum reels. They have really done a great job with their new reels. Very good mechanics and superior fit and finish as well as corrosion protection. I am spoiled by the Van Staal line, but now I am happy to add Quantums to my arsenal...especially in the lighter weights. Head to head with the Shimanos I find the Quantums to be much better in evry regard. Now if they could only reduce the weight of each reel to match the Van Staals...but that is why they cost less than half as much.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 11:35PM

A Penn Captiva or Captiva Live Liner would be a good choice. JMHO.

But then of course I collect Penn reels.

Derek

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: February 15, 2005 09:55AM

Thanks for all the input. I'm sure that he can pick a reel out of your suggestions that he can live with.

Peter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster