I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Builder Show for Rookie
Posted by: Xavier Jorge (---.usdoj.gov)
Date: February 14, 2005 01:12PM

Hello all. I am a new rod builder as in I have never built my first rod. I have become extremely interested in this craft and have decided to build my first rod. Thanks to this site I have gathered a wealth of information. My question is whether the Charlotte Rod builders show would be beneficial to me? Or are the seminars going to be too broad or brief for me to actually gain anything without ever building a rod. I am so very tempted to go but thought I would ask some of you who have perhaps been in my current situation. Thank you in advance for any replies!

Xavier

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Builder Show for Rookie
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2005 01:30PM

You wil benefit more from a trip to the National Rod Builders Show than with anything you can learn on your own in the next 10 years. The seminars run the gamut from a very basic series on beginning rod building to much more advanced techniques and everything in between. If you can afford the time, you'd be hard pressed to find anything else that would benefit you as much. And, considering that it's only $12 to get in ($20 for two days) I just don't think anything else can compare in terms of education, information, product selection and overall value.

You'll also never see this much rod building product and so many knowledgeable rod builders in one place ever again. Well, maybe at the 2006 Charlotte event. Preparations are already underway for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2005 05:08PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 02:49PM

Charlotte will be my first ever; too bad I waited nearly 25 years to do it. That's really a shame!

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 07:45PM

Xavier, Last year I went to the Big Show In Charloote. I was a rank beginner. I had been raeding this Forum for several months but had never built a rod. The show taught me more in a matter of hours than I could have learned in months on my own. It was wonderful to meet many other rod builders. This year's show promises to be even better. I encourage you to go.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 08:24PM

Xaiver,

I too am a rookie. I've been reading as much as I can about rod building. I've build about nine rods from scratch and rebuilt several before I really started rod building. You would not believe how much I have learned from this site. I plan to go to Charlotte since it is only two hour drive. My problem is that I want to attend so many of the seminars I won't have time to shop for "goodies". I just hope I can get myself in the door in time for Jim Upton at 10AM. I just wish it were a three day show.

Hope to see you there,
Ed Smith

P.S.-Putter, I still have the green and ivory TAPS pigment on my list for you. Maybe you will marble a beer can for us. I just finished a gold and ivory on a Batson Blank. Lovely! Thanks for your Walmart gold pigment source.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 09:03PM

Thanks, Ed! See you in Charlotte!!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 10:10PM

You can all stop on by and see me - sit at the bench and wrap for yourself --- Keep me company / keep me busy. I'm bringing the wrapper for just
that purpose.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 10:45PM

Ken,
Your booth is one of the first stops on my list. You were one of the first builders I ever contacted for information when I started out. I was amazed by your quick and thorough replies to my questions. I regret missing you at last year's show but look forward to hanging ouit with you this time.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 11:03PM

David,
I was, like you, a spectator at last year's show. I drove down from Maryland Friday night , arrived Saturday morning thinking I'd just wander in & look around then drive home. I stayed until closing, went to dinner with a couple of folks that I met there and didn't get home until Monday morning. I was so impressed with the good will and venue that I made up my mind to be in the show this year before I left last year. Plus I drove past all those really nice "fishy" looking lakes on the way down that this year I'm bringing rods, reels and lures along with me for the drive (saunter) home. I'm still counting pennies / putting aside money to spend/ at this year's show . Maybe I can convince Andy Renzetti that he doesn't want to pack up his display lathe for his trip back home ;-) - Especially after he sees the shape my 12 year old Pac Bay is in! What I'm planning on is a "stop by & chat booth". Basically I'm selling me and not cash & carry rods. This is really a vacation for me - too cold up here still to enjoy fishing & the workshop is getting a little confining if you know what I mean. Look forward to meeting lots of people that I've only chatted with on-line.

Posted by: Xavier Jorge (---.usdoj.gov)
Date: February 15, 2005 08:40AM

You all are amazing! This is the first time in my life that I have undertaken a new hobby and had so many people willing to help you learn. I am totally motivated about building my first rod and have made up my mind to attend the show. I have so many questions its crazy, its a little intimidating when you look down that first blank ! Im just a handson type person and learn so much better when I see someone doing something. Hopefully the show will afford me that opportunity.

Offtopic:

Do any of you know any builders in South Florida that I might be able to get in touch , it would be nice to find someone locally willing to help a rookie.

Thank all,

Xavier

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 08:58AM

Xavier: Click on the "Directory" button near the top of the main page, then find builders in your state. There will be lots more who are not listed, but the ones there have expressed an interest in being contacted, many are just hobbyists willing to share info.

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: February 15, 2005 10:45AM

Oh how I wish I could go! I keep reading about the show and it sounds better and better, but it's a bit far from Indiana. I would love to get a chance to meet some of you guys. Thanks for your generosity with your vast rod building knowledge. Maybe I can get down there next year.

Peter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster