I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st coat of finish
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: February 14, 2005 11:20AM

I'm going to put the first coat of Flex Coat finish on my fly rod tonight. Anyone have any hints or ideas that may help me beyond what Flex Coat recommends? Thanks, Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st coat of finish
Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 12:38PM

Make sure the room is hair and dust free as much as possible. I put 4 oz. containers in the microwave for 9 seconds. Use at least 3cc of each the hardener and resin, precision is key. Mix w/ a non porous stirrer for at least two minutes. I put my mixing cup over a white piece of paper as it makes it easier to notice when the finish is truely clear. I pour it out onto tin foil and do my thing. I would say working time is around 30 minutes max before it starts getting too thick to apply.

Date: February 14, 2005 01:07PM

Can I use those plastic mixing cups that come with rod kits or should I use glass? Also, it's a little cold in my apartment, will that matter much?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2005 01:41PM

Refer to the article in the library here by Rich Forhan on his finishing technique. I think it will help you.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 02:47PM

Lock up your pet...

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 03:13PM

You can use those plastic cups. I personally would measure more accurately by using the plastic syringes that you can buy from our sponsors. One for each part, no need to clean between use, just don't mix them up.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 04:35PM

Can you define "a little cold?" Epoxy mixes better and is easier to apply if it's 70-80 degrees. It will level better, flow better, is easier to apply, releases bubbles more easily, etc. I used to have a fair amount of trouble until I started following that rule. Now any problems I have I can only blame on my technique, not on the finish being too thick.

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 07:06PM

Clean your work station.
Move anything that isnt needed, just so you dont bump one thing and cause a chain reaction (i'm speaking from experience..unfortunately)
Keep your room at or above 70deg.
Mix 3cc's of each part of your finsh and mix it slowly so you dont add bubbles.
Pour your mixture in a 'cup' made of foil. blow the bubbles out
Apply a thin coat as your first coat. Its easier too add a coat later than to scrape off/sand down excess

Dont rush, you can always mix up more epoxy.

Date: February 15, 2005 09:11AM

I know you probably couldn't sleep last night wondering how I made out with my first coat of rod finish. Well...it didn't happen. I forgot I had to wrap and trim the tip top and put 2 coats of color preserver on. The big night is tonight. My apartment is very cold. I don't think I can get the temp above 68 degrees. I do have an electric heater I can use in my kitchen where I will finish the rod. Is there such a thing as it being too hot in a room? Thanks for the help responses. Bruce

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 09:55AM

If you do use a heater, don't use one with a fan that blows things around. Getting dust on fresh epoxy is one of the worst things. If your room is usually below 70, you might try using Flex Coat Lite in the future, it is less viscous. You may need to put on two coats of that.

Another tip for a newbie. Resist "testing" the epoxy on the rod with your finger. Just leave the excess epoxy on the foil on the table and test that whenever you get the urge (test it with a toothpick at first). This is especially important for you, since in a cold room it will take longer for the epoxy to set.

Date: February 15, 2005 11:21AM

The Heater doesn't have a fan. What I'll do is face it another direction. Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster