I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Changing the color of a blank
Posted by: Krista Smith (---.ocio.usda.gov)
Date: February 14, 2005 08:56AM

I had previous built a rod and changed the color to white. I had a very hard time getting the color to hold along the tip of the rod. I had spoken with two different individuals about the problem. The second person I spoke with said that I needed to dip the blank into a clear coat like polyeurthene to make the gloss stay and that prevented the thread from cutting up the paint. The problem is that the tip didn't want to hold and kept letting the thread cut through. I redid the tip several times and finally thought that I had it figured out, but once I expoxied the rod the paint bubbled up through the thread and the rod looked wet. This rod was for a retirement gift and due to the time factor it was presented. I told the individual that I would replace the rod as soon as I found out a good method to changing the color of the rod. What is a good method to changing the color of a blank and what type of paint to use? I was told to use any type and someone else said to use expoxy paint. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Changing the color of a blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2005 09:11AM

Çheck the online library here for the article on blank refinishing. You can just tint the coating to get the color and gloss all in one step. A urethane is one of the better type finishes you can use for a blank coating. Various tints and pigments are available. Testors model paint (use the pigment that has settled to the bottom of the jar) or the TAP pigments, or even gel coat pigments.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.65.125.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 09:14AM

I spray my blanks with two ( dust ) coats of Plasti-kote auto paint. just enough to cover the blank. After it is dry I coat with clear. The first coat is put on (very ) fast in order to coat and seal the color. Then check for dust and such and recoat one or two more times.I wipe clear on with a cheese cloth
Sounds like you may have put to much paint on, or used enamel that is too thick and was not fully dried.
After I scoff with a fine pad, the gray one, I dust the paint on. Like said, just enough to cover the blank. After dry, a very fast wipe of permagloss or Minwax urethane which is hard. Have to let things ( dry well )

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 10:57AM

I have sanded and painted several unsanded rod blanks with good success. I had problems with thread digging into the paint and I found that if I let the paint cure for a week or so, it would harden up and the thread would not dig in to the paint. Letting it cure longer may help what you are having problems with too.

I am guessing that the spray paints off the shelf take a bit longer to cure and harden than something that would be sprayed on in a body shop.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 10:57AM

I have sanded and painted several unsanded rod blanks with good success. I had problems with thread digging into the paint and I found that if I let the paint cure for a week or so, it would harden up and the thread would not dig in to the paint. Letting it cure longer may help what you are having problems with too.

I am guessing that the spray paints off the shelf take a bit longer to cure and harden than something that would be sprayed on in a body shop.

Posted by: Pat Ryan (---.clrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 04:33PM

I have just built a rod on a blank that I painted. I sanded the blank with a grey scotchbrite pad and painted it with Krylon spray paint. For a top coat I used Testors Dull Coat (wanted a flat finish). In researching ways to paint a blank, I swapped e-mails with Ken Preston (you can locate him by doing a search of this message board), who was very helpful with the whole process. I also let the blank dry for a day or two between each coat and about a week befor beginning to wrap. So far it seems to be holding up very well.

Posted by: Dan Martek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 01:46AM

You can check Ken Prestons website (WWW.kensfishingrods.com). He has a very informative article about changing blank color. It walks you through the process step by step and even has some pictures.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster