I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hexagraph
Posted by: Rich Julian (169.152.251.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 08:05AM

Has anyone has any experience working with Hexagraph Blanks,Any comments?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hexagraph
Posted by: Tom Costa (---.173.66.34.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 09:38AM

Are you refering to a type of blank like the Cape Fear's?

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.att.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 12:16PM

A hexagraph blank/rod is made of a flat sheet of graphite bonded to a closed cell foam and cut, tapered, beveled, and epoxied together as to imitate a Bamboo rod. The graphite takes the place of the outer, or power fibers and the foam the rest of the bamboo in the rod. Go to 'www.hexagraph.com' and read the rest of the story. I built one once for a customer and fell in love with the feel of the finished rod! Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2005 12:18PM by Ralph Jones.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 02:04PM

Probably the best rod I've ever cast was a 4 weight Hexagraph...
If they weren't so damn expensive, I would have about 40 of them.
As it sits now, I don't have even a one.

Posted by: Tom Costa (---.173.66.34.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 04:04PM

Very similar idea as the Cape Fear (which are also on the pricey range!) However this is my favorite live bait stick for Stripers!!! It is a Hexagonal Blank with what they call T-Cell technology. Check them out...... I know the make fly rods as well....As far as working with a hexagonal blank I don't think there would be much difference between the 2 so what type of questions do you have? You can also send me an e-mail at trapper1623@yahoo.com.

Tom

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 04:37PM

Rich. I have an un-built fly blank. Looks exactly like a bamboo rod. Heavy like bamboo. I believe they used them as stand-ins in THAT MOVIE THAT WILL NOT BE NAMED. Neat blanks.

Posted by: Rich julian (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 06:55PM

I ordered one of the blanks for myself,Since you have experience building one I was wondering ,Since Hexagraph mounts the ferrules for you is it easy enough to slip the handle up from the bottom and not have a gapping hole at the winding check?

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.or.charter.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 10:19PM

I think that there is a HUGE difference between the Cape Fear blanks and the Hexagraph blanks...Two different animals altogether....That serve two entirely different purposes.

If you like the feel, heft, and recovery of the bamboo blank, but prefer composite materials... You will probably like the Hexagraph.

I would describe them as "Unique", yet quite functional rods.

They were originally introduced to the US by the Powell family, but actually have quite a long history in the UK.

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: February 15, 2005 10:19AM

Rich. I had my ferrules re-done by Jeff Fultz because I stupidly had Hex put on cheaper components. Jeff put on a winding check before he placed the new butt section ferrule. You might consider slicing a ring in two and adding it after the grip goes on and shaping. I have never done it, but a wrap of rattan might look okay as a check, with thread ahead and behind after gluing. I could send you a couple of pieces to try if you like. Or lay down a base of thread and place a larger check over that, coming on from behind. The bamboo guys (you might contact Jeff) might have a suggestion as they must have dealt with this problem.

Posted by: Mike Cummings (---.mn.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 10:44PM

I bought a blank when they first came out. An 8' 5wt med. $250 then, don't know what they go for now. I bought one because I didn't think they'ed be around this long.

The butt of the blank will be larger then the lip of the ferrule. Just taper ream the grip (or rings) until it fits just like any blank. A nice nic. silver hex winding will drop over the ferrule too. No problem.

I fish mostly cane but I really like the Hexagraph. I fish it mostly on bigger water where it can stretch out and show it's stuff.
Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster