I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: whats the "best" epoxy
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 03:36PM

Jay, Kenny, Putters been using it for over 20 years and many manufacturer's use it Here's what the manufacturer says about it [www.epoxycoatingsco.com] Since I got small bottles from Putter, I use syringes (which I will still use when I get my own! Still the most accurate and clean way to measure, IMO)

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 03:53PM

Thanks. The thing is I never really liked syringes. I must be a slob...I always get epoxy all over the dern things!

Jay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2005 03:56PM by Jay Lancaster.

Date: February 14, 2005 05:10PM

Jay, drill a small hole in the bottle caps just big enough for the tips to fit in tightly. Turn the bottles upside down and draw the finish out and empty into cup (replace the syringe in the top and draw the plunger up a little).

No mess, no fuss and accurate. When the finish is gone, just transfer the caps/syringes to the next bottle. I have been using the same syringes for over a year and have never cleaned them (I prefer the syringes withOUT the rubber on the plungers. LS has them)

Mike

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 05:30PM

So far I've been measuring the "1Coat" with some old Flex Coat syringes that I cleaned with alcohol. I'm hoping that after I order a quart I will find that the FC pumps fit the bottles. I do love those pumps, but I like this finish too much to use FC just so I can use the pumps.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 14, 2005 06:59PM

Kenny and Scott and whoever else is interested in 1 Coat, epoxy coatings co. offer samples here is their URL you can email them from there.

[www.epoxycoatingsco.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2005 07:03PM by Myles Boon.

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-66-174-7.myvzw.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 09:13AM

FYI - According to karen @ Bingham Enterprises (sponsor) - Bingham no longer carries the Epoxy Coating Co. 1 Coat that Randy has teased us with. You will have to deal directly with the manufacturer unless someone else can come up with another vendor.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 09:58AM

Maybe Putter will have to start a side business distributing the stuff

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-66-174-7.myvzw.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 01:23PM

All I know is that he didn't send me near enough to test! putter, gimmie about 10 more ounces of each part will ya!!!

Just kidiing, I broke down and ordered more AMTAK low build.....

I wonder if I send putter back the little bottles he sent me if he will just refill them and send them back over and over agin????

Posted by: Casey Trask (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 15, 2005 04:54PM

This is a funny conversation. Epoxy Coatings makes Flex Coat. It's the exact same product except the Flex Coat uses a slightly 'colder' amine hardener for a bit longer working life. But in a different bottle people seem to think it's something entirely different and somehow better. It's the same product but at a higher price and in large quantities only. And yes they both turn brown after some UV exposure.

Date: February 15, 2005 06:25PM

Travis,
I tried to e-mail you this is the message that I received
Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to gateway-r.comcast.net.:
>>> RCPT To:<[email protected]>
<<< 551 not our customer
550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>... User unknown

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 08:03PM

I have both Flex Coat High Build and Flex Coat lite and this finish is something very different than either of those. More similar to the lite, but it's a high build finish. Not real thick, just shorter pot life.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 10:04PM

I didn't notice your post, Mike. Thought fake email addresses??? were taboo...

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster