I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
whats the "best" epoxy
Posted by: Kenny Sapp (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 08:16PM

I figure its most likely just personal preference, but I would like to hear your opinions about who makes the "best" epoxy. I was looking into buying a bigger bottle because I figure I will be building rods for a while. I thought I had it all figured out, went to the mud hole web site and clicked on epoxys. There are a lot more brands than I thought. So I decided to ask fellow rod builders their opinions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: whats the "best" epoxy
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 08:24PM

It's not much help, but you're chasing the Holy Grail!! There's no such thing as the "Best" epoxy. Every brand out there has it's fans. You have to just find one that works for you. They all have there own characteristics and a learning curve. Most good finish work is a result of technique bot the brand of epoxy,
That being said, I loke LS Supreme high build (although I'm trying a different one right now)

Mike

Posted by: John Dow (---.235.252.64.snet.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 08:27PM

Ken , the best is the one that you can get to finish the same everytime using your method, then sticking to it . I build a lot of flyrods , I like to use Permagloss for the first coat , then LS supreme for the second . I personaly think that Flex Coat High Build is the most forgiving , and easiest to use ....... just My oppinion . Which ever you decide to use , measure , amd mix carefully , and don't apply too much at once . Have Fun , JD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 08:46PM

Glass Coat is very easy to use. LS Supreme is similar but takes longer to set up.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 09:10PM

Kenny, don't let anyone kid you. Flex Coat is the best!

I'm kidding. FC is the best for me cuz that's what I've learned with. I've spent months trying to figure out LS, and can't. There are guys who use LS who will say the same about FC. Some think all epoxy is for the birds and use varnish.

If there was an absolute best in terms of every factor, I think it would have been found out by now and there wouldn't be so many choices. There's no right answer as to which one you should get. As JD mentioned, you gotta just bite the bullet, pick one and figure out how to use it. They all have pros and cons, but when it comes down to it, IMO, they all even out in the wash.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 09:12PM

In my opinion there is no such animal as "the best" epoxy. I regularly use 4 different manufacturer's brands for different purposes depending on
what I'm using it for. Some of that depends on the customer too -- for 'overnight repairs' it's hard to beat the fast set up of Glass Coat for very light rods two thin coats of warmed lite build (American Tackle or Classic Rod Coat, LS Supreme) ... and I'm still hoarding some Clemen's Crystal Coat ... and I want to try out the newer finishes too. Yes, I have too much "stuff" -- that's one reason that the shop had to be redone I needed the storage space badly.

Posted by: John Minutillo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 09:43PM

Aftcote, easy to use, longer working time and real flexible.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 10:56PM

No learning curve to it, self leveling, anti-bubble, great stuff for a new person to not have troubles with (and did I say glossy!!!). Epoxy Coatings Company '1 Coat' available here: [www.angelfire.com] @ Bingham's (sponsor on left).

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 13, 2005 11:25PM

Kenny, I've trailing the finish Randy (Putter) is talking about "1 coat", I was skeptical about another finish that could do all the things required. I have to say this stuff comes pretty close and as Putter said glossy it is, I have never seen a finish this glossy. This stuff is idiot proof and I can vouch for that.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 11:49PM

I've been used the Epoxy Coatings 1 Coat since Putter kindly sent me a sample. I'm not sure what to do with the rest of my FC now. The stuff is, IMO, much easier to use than FC, levels better and almost seems more clear. The only downside is that the pot life is definitely shorter, but I can live with that.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 14, 2005 01:11AM

Gerry, Putter told me what you thought of the stuff and I was skeptical at the time so he thought I sould try the stuff as well. I shouldn't of doubted you. Your right the pot life is shorter but I have overcome this by mixing up two smaller batches, this finish is going to save me alot of time.

Posted by: Steve French (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 06:26AM

Ken, Like the other guys said its pretty much personal prefferance. I like Glass Coat the clarity it has on the feather inlays I do it great. I also like to use Permagloss on the lighter rods. The Glass Coat does have a short pot but the plus side is I don't have to use a drying motor with it I rotate the rod 180 every 10to 15 minutes for an hour.

Steve French
Steve's Custom Rod & Tackle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2005 06:27AM by Steve French.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 10:35AM

Let me put in a plug for Klass Kote epoxy paint. A pot life of hours and a thin as a varnish. I am currently experimenting to see just how little I can get away with and still have a perfect finish. Currently, I can see the threads under a smooth third coat. The other epoxies mentioned are much thicker, but this also has some advantages as it hides defects.

Date: February 14, 2005 10:38AM

I have been also trying out the stuff Putter, Myles & Gerry are talking about. I can't say enough about it!! It gives me the best finish that I have EVER had on a rod. No learning curve. Throw some on and forget it!! perfectly leveled out on a long open butt wrap and the inscription area was as smooth and level as the blank itself. It does have a short pot life but for results like that, I can live with it.

I rotated by hand for about 1/2 hour and turned on motor for a couple more. Dry and extremely glossy in about 5 hours. Putter has been using it for 20 years and says that it holds up well

Mike

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: February 14, 2005 11:11AM

Putter,
Do they offer a smaller size of the one coat? I want to try that out, but a full qrt is a heck of alot of finish if I dont like it. If you know where I can get a smaller quantity let me know.

Thanks,
Scott Sheets

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 11:27AM

Mike,
Where are you buying this epoxy? I would like to give it a try.

Date: February 14, 2005 12:07PM

I got "teaser" bottles from Putter. Bingham is the only sponsor that sells it and they only have the quart size.

Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2005 12:16PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Kenny Sapp (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 03:00PM

Thanks guys for you opinions. I figured y'all would tell me its just personal preference I just wanted to get an idea. I might like to try the stuff Mike, Putter, Myles & Gerry are talking about, but i have to say I'm like Emory. Do they sell it in smaller than a quart because I've never heard of the stuff till now and I want to try it before I throw 40 dollars down.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 03:09PM

I see the '1coat' has a twist type top/dispensing system. Does it meter itself out or do you squeeze & measure? Thanks.

Jay

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: February 14, 2005 03:28PM

Crystal Coat. Period.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster