I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

loose guides after CP
Posted by: Dick Murchison (69.177.225.---)
Date: February 13, 2005 04:41PM

The guides on my pole got real loose after I put on the color preserver!!! Did I do something rong and is it salvageable? Should I start all over again and take the guides off. When I go to turn the rod, they are all out of wack. I was also wondering if the CP will "hold them a little".

Thanks in advance.
Dick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: loose guides after CP
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 04:52PM

Depends on how loose they are Dick. If the thread looks loose it might be best to start over. But if the thread is tight and the guides just need to be tweaked, a second coat of CP might hold it until the finish is applied. Cant tell without feeling them, hope that helps.

Date: February 13, 2005 04:55PM

Thanks Doc. They seemed to hold in place now, as the CP soaked in. I will wait until tomorrow to do another coat. I was wondering if I might have hit the threads. Also, what is the ratio to thin. I forgot to thin the 1st coat. But the Gudebrod CP seems thin.

Thanks,
Dick

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 05:05PM

Sorry Dick I dont use Gudebrod Cp and dont know how it works. but it sounds like you will be ok

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 05:09PM

What is the purpose of thinning CP. It seems to me that all it accomplishes is less actual CP penetrating the threads, thereby requiring more coats to accomplish the same thing. I would think that if thinned CP was just as effective, the companies would thin it ahead of time and save money in the process.

Mike

Date: February 13, 2005 05:12PM

Thanks Doc. What type do you use? Maybe I will try that kind too.

Thanks,
Dick

Date: February 13, 2005 05:13PM

Not sure Mike. At first I assumed that was done due to the thickness, as you want it to penetrate into the thread. Mine penetrated just fine though!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2005 05:15PM

Anytime you wet the threads with anything, they will swell. This is true whether you are applying CP, epoxy or varnish. When the coating dries, the guides will not be loose. If they are, then you did not use enough tension to begin with. Let the stuff dry and then determine if your guides are loose or not. Normally, once you apply CP and it dries, you will not be able to easily move the guides.

You shouldn't have to thin the Gudebrod 811 more than 10% to 20% (max) and only if it's simply too thick to work with. Thin with alcohol if needed.

Date: February 13, 2005 05:55PM

Thanks Tom. One question though. When you apply the wrap epoxy on the guides, if the line swells, will the guides move when you put it on a drier? Or is the CP enough to keep it in check.

Thanks,
Dick

ps. I have your book and it is very helpful. I just didn't see this in it. The book is GREAT!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2005 05:59PM

No, the thread isn't going to relax that much. Thread tension is plenty to keep the guides in place during the finishing operation. If you use CP, that locks the guides in even further. You'd have to really whack them to get them to move out of position. I get the feeling that you applied a nice coat of CP and then bumped or moved the guides somehow. When the thread is wet, you don't want to bump or handle the guides.

Be careful with your thread tension. It needs to be snug, but not so snug that you can't reposition the guides a bit with some slight sideways pressure.

Date: February 13, 2005 07:11PM

Thanks Tom. I appreciate it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster