I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

extension cords and rod dryers
Posted by: leo lecuyer (---.238.195.20.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 02:40PM

just had a rather new (3 months old) rod dryer motor fail on me, i do not have an outlet near my rodbuilding bench so i use an extension cord to reach around the corner to an electric outlet. am i creating my own problem by useing an extension cord or could i just have had a bum dryer motor to begin with? i have bought a couple of relacement motors but just wondering if i should get rid of the ext. cord and go directly to an outlet.
thanks
leo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: extension cords and rod dryers
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2005 02:48PM

Depends on how long the cord was. 100 feet? 50 feet? 25 feet? Less than that and you won't likely do much damage. And, you can ensure you won't by using a heavier guage cord to begin with.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 02:49PM

I've used extension cords on mine many times and never had a problem. I think you just got a bad motor, but it's also possible you had a current spike. You might want to use a surge suppressor as your extension cord.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 05:13PM

Also, was it a new motor or a used one from re-supply company.

I build a couple dryers using 30 RPM motors from a recycler of used motors. The motors ran very hot and sounded as though the were on the verge for failing. They went to the trash bin.

To solve this problem, I purchased several new 18 RPM motors from Custom Tackle Supply and have been very pleased with them.

Stan

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 05:22PM

Leo,

I mis-read your question!

If the motor was only 3 months old, it might be a defective motor. As for the extension cord length, consider a cord of the next highest gauge wire as Tom said.

I have my drying stuff connected to a surge protector /power backup unit that will wake me up if power goes out at night.

Stan

Posted by: leo lecuyer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2005 01:37PM

thanks for the replies guys, ya know the more i look at this motor it sure does look re-built. it's one of those long flat motors ( 4" long ) with wound up copper wire crimped to two leads of the plug. i bought a couple of the small round motors witch i see everyone use and i'm gonna stick with them, until i get an outlet near my bench i'll use a shorter ext. cord. i think the one i was useing is about 25' long, thanks so much for your suggestions.
leo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster