I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for a Casting Reel on 10' Surf Blank
Posted by: Mark Gordon (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 10, 2005 01:35AM

Hi all

Working on a new project. Friend wants to fish hard in the channels and cast far. Interested in a 10' Rainshadow 1208 which can toss 2-5 oz's. The tip is 9. He'll also be winding braid on the reel so SIC is important. Was wondering what folks would recommend for guides - number, size etc.

Right now I am thinking the Fuji MSNG (rather than the the std NSG). Was think SVSG or Surf guide would be too high if using a conventional reel. Since I have never build a surf rod for anyone using a conventional casting reel on it -- I am not sure if the same rules apply. In a traditional surf setup with a spinning reel I would generally use 5-6 guides including the tip - using a smaller stripper guide than I would if setting up for a spin.

I was thinking
16 (Tip)

Any reason to go smaller on the tip? I couldn't find a 12/9 -- the next smallest is a 10/9.

Thoughts - recommendations?

Thanks
Mark

PS -- also opinions on butt setup would be helpful -- would it be the same process as setting up a traditional surf with a spinning reel? I am assuming it is but please advise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for a Casting Reel on 10' Surf Blank
Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.153.41.56.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: February 10, 2005 03:37AM

For casting - I usually use 6 guides plus top on an uncut BGSW-1508-2, but for a ten foot blank the five guides as you mentioned would work. The addtional 20 as you listed is good too. You're on the right track. I would match the top to the adjacent guide, keep it a 16.

Ie., 25, 20, 16, 16, 16, 16 top.

Due to customer requests the smallest size 16 guide allows the angler to reel in the shock leader even if the shock knot is fouled with grass, for cleaning right at the reel. Great when angler is up to his waist in water. Some customers even want a larger stripper guide, a 30, then guide sizes would be 30, 25, 20, 16, 16 top. For longer rods I add an additonal 16.

Though I think a 30 is a little large, the customer is always right - I use the guide sizes, colors, and any other specifications they provide. At present I am building a 11'6" rod with only 5 guides - too few, but the customer is sold on the idea that fewer guides equals less drag, can't change his mind - so he's right and I am building it like he wants......

I am not at my bench right now. Will send you an email in a few hours with some measurements from previous builds. Most probably they will closely compare to the spinning measurements you have.

Tight wraps,

Lou

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2005 08:06AM

Sent you email....

Lou

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2005 09:29AM

The 16 may be as small as you can go. You'll have to try it and see. If you're building this up as a casting rod (not sure from your post) I'd drop down as quickly as I could to whatever ends up being your smallest possible guide. So instead of 25 • 20 • 20 • 16 • 16 I would probably go from the 25 to a 20 and then straight to as many 16's as I needed.

If you're not going to do this in a spiral wrap fashion, I might be tempted to use an SVSG for the 25 and then move to NSG's for the remainder of the guides. If you do that, you may find that you can get away with a #20 for the butt guide instead of the 25.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 10, 2005 10:35AM

As far as the guides' ring material is concerned: With respect to the use of super braid line, even the Hardloy aluminum oxide ceramic guides' rings are well able to withstand the abrasion from the line itself and from the sand particles (mostly silicon dioxide) that imbed in the braid. Some hardness comparisons:

MOHR HARDNESS SCALE (sometimes spelled "Moh's"):

Zircon, cubic - 7.5
Aluminum Oxide - 8.0
Silicon Carbide - 9.0

Silica Sand - 5.0
Window Glass - 5.5
Mineral Sand - 5.0-7.0
Steel Knives - 6.5-7.0 maximum
Steel Files - 6.5-7.0 maximum

MOHR's is a relative scale, with arbitrary gradations.
In terms of absolute hardness:
# 7 - 100 Quartz
# 8 - 200 Topaz
# 9 - 400 Corundum
#10 - 1600 Diamond

VICKER'S HARDNESS SCALE: (courtesy of Bob Crook & Spencer Phipps) [www.batsonenterprises.com]

Stainless Steel (SS): 200
Chrome: 800-1000
Aluminum Oxide: 1200-1400
Alconite: 1700
Zirconia: 1800-2000
SiC: 2200- 2400

And some quotes from some voices of experience at RBO:

Re: Guides and Super Lines?? Tom Kirkman 01-24-05 05:11PM
No quality ceramic guide will be harmed by the use of "super lines." Sometime for kicks, and if you have a file to destroy, try filing a groove into an Alconite or even a Hardloy ring. Do be advised, however, that you will permanently ruin your file, regardless of it's quality and Rockwell hardness.

Re: Guides and Super Lines?? Lou Reyna 01-24-05 05:26PM
I have a rod with hardloy guides in my shop right now that has seen extensive use of "superlines" with no ill effects. The owner switched from mono to braided line on this rod some years ago. He's had fish on that pull a significant amount of line off the reel while the rod is under load. The guides have not grooved. The rod's in the shop to have a guide replaced that was cracked when the rod / reel combo was dropped on the asphalt. Lou

Re: Guides and Super Lines?? Mike Barkley 01-24-05 05:42PM
In my area (Lake Erie) the majority of (including charters) trollers use braided / superlines. They also use mostly below $50 rods and I get more than my share of guide replacements (abuse, stepped on, etc.) I'm 65 and I can honestly say that I have never seen a grooved ring. One friend of mine, a charter captain is booked over a 150 trips a year and trolls for walleye and steelhead (steelies will run strong and long), uses cheap rods with cheap guides and Fireline on all of them. I do all of his rod work. Have never seen a grooved guide. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I've yet to see it. Mike.

-Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

Posted by: Mark Gustavson (---.nyc2.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: February 10, 2005 11:12AM

In regards to super braids, the first generation lines would cause damage but the braids that have come out in the last few years are formulated differently, are slicker and will not damage any rings.

Posted by: Mark Gordon (12.38.201.---)
Date: February 10, 2005 05:10PM

Tom -- Sorry if not clear -- casting rod is what I am building - no spiral. Not quite clear to me what you are recommending in the second part of your response. Would the setup you are recommending look like the following?

#20 SVSG
#20 NSG
#16 NSG
#16 NSG
#16 NSG
#16 TIP

or

#20 SVSG
#16 NSG
#16 NSG
#16 NSG
#16 NSG
#16 TIP

Why the NSG -- wouldn't these sit too low to the blank even for a casting rod?

Thanks, Mark

Posted by: Mark Gordon (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 10, 2005 08:17PM

Got the info I needed. Thank you everyone! You have all been a great help!

Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster