I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I am new at this
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 02:46PM

Hi fellow rod builders. This my first time on your board and I have to let you all know I am no computer wiz in fact I almost couldn't complete the registration cause I have no Idea what URL is and there was nothing to "click" on. I guess I am your basic dinosaur.

I could use a little help. I am trying to design a new patter of an atlantic salmon. If someone who fishes for these guys or knows what they really look like could send me a drawing or recommend a book that really depicts them accurately I would really appreciate it. I know they are a bit different than our west coast stuff.

Also I want to offer my assistants and knowledge to any of you who think I might be able to help. I don't know all the answers but I don't hide anything I know either. I just like helping people avoid some of my stupid mistakes.

Thank You to Tom and all the Sponsors

James alias Doc Ski

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I am new at this
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 03:45PM

Doc: Here is a link with some pictures of the Atlantic Salmon. Just move the cursor with your mouse to the words in the square brackets at the end of this message and click on the mouse once (or twice quickly), then wait. A new page (from Google Images) should appear. Click on any of the pictures to get more detail. Scroll down on the page to get even more pictures. [images.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2005 03:47PM by Tom Doyle.

Date: February 09, 2005 04:22PM

Thanks Tom. Great site. How can I down load one of the pictures?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 04:32PM

Just right click your mouse on the pic to be saved. In the box that pops up, left click on "Save As" and go from there how you'd like to save it on your computer (My Pictures, usually).

Date: February 09, 2005 04:38PM

Thanks Randy. This computer stuff is pretty confusing to me Doc

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2005 04:39PM

Another thing you may be able to do, if your're truly the internet dinosaur that you claim, is just click on a photo and drag it off onto your desktop.

Glad to see you out and about. Hope the back surgery came out well.

Date: February 09, 2005 04:47PM

Hi Tom

Nearly bought the farm the last time. Spent 5 days on a ventilator and the last two years getting off pain meds. Almost back to NORMAL. Stopped smoking but unless I have a compramise in motor skills I will never let them cut on me again. Just too scared. Thanks Doc. ps If I can get some good pictures I will try to send you some of my new stuff. Which email address would I use?

Date: February 09, 2005 04:54PM

rodmaker@earthlink.net. I need to call you, stuff I need to talk to you about anyway.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 04:58PM

Here's the best picture of the Atlantic Salmon that I found in Google: [www.exchile.com]

Another tip
Date: February 09, 2005 05:09PM

When you use Google (www.google.com) you will find some sub-categories on their home page. Click on the one that says "images" and then when the page refreshes type in the subject you wish to find photos of. That will give you photos only, instead of webpages and sites you would otherwise have to look through. It's a great timesave and will deliver the images in thumbnails. When you see what you want, you can then obtain a full size version of it.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca1.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: February 09, 2005 05:52PM

Hi Doc. Good to see you here. Is your E-Mail address still the same? It says that it's hidden here.

Jim

Posted by: Anonymous User (63.146.104.---)
Date: February 09, 2005 05:58PM

James(Doc) Labanowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Randy. This computer stuff is pretty
> confusing to me Doc

you think the computer stuff is confusing?!?!?!? try weaving for the first time! not that you haven't. i think that what you do is a lot harder than the computer stuff.

Date: February 09, 2005 06:16PM

Thanks Tom that is super. I am pretty nutty about detail. Doc

Date: February 09, 2005 06:23PM

Hi Jim good to hear from you too. What are your plans for the Show? It starts 2 Mar this year. I have a new email, address and ph #. Moved in with Rocky and Vicky since the divorce. I will check my old email, cause it is still active but I hardly get to check it except when I am with the ex and visiting my Grand daughter. If you have R&V's number try calling.

Hi John - Have no fear it gets easier, Heck I am just a dumb pollock and I can do it. No really it is a lot easier that you think

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.252.200.245.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: February 09, 2005 07:20PM

Hi Doc. Glad to see that your on this site. Could have used your help about two weeks ago. I just started weaving and the first one I screwed up on so I watched the video again and again and again. Just finished a weave ( my name) for practice and it turned out ok. Still found a couple of faults but I think I'll gett them corrected.

Jim

Date: February 09, 2005 07:57PM

Hi Jim
Keep at it buddy and you'll surprise yourself in no time. If there is anything I can do to help let me know. Doc

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2005 08:16PM

This site amazes me every time I log on.Just when I thought the wealth of knowledge was at its peak the one and only Doc Ski appears.Welcome!! (From a fellow Pollock)

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 08:36PM

Doc, thanks again for that great tip on foam to use for weaving jigs.

Weave jig builders, Doc's suggestion is on page 2, under the "Foam for Weaving Jig" query.

Stan

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 08:41PM

Correction:

Doc's foam recommendation appears under the "Hi-density foam for Weave Jigs" topic on page 2, for those interested.

Stan

Date: February 09, 2005 09:01PM

Hi Fred - I don't know about being a wealth of knowledge be I am more than willing to share the things I know and do. Us pollocks have to stick together. Actually I am a red, white and blue blooded American and big time proud of it. 22y 9m 3d with Uncle Sam will do that to you. I don't know if you can email me direct with questions but if you can I will do my best to help. If not I will try to visit here as often as possible. Thanks for the Kudos Doc

Hi Stan - no prob with the hint on foam. Here is another tip. Sometimes the foam used on any Jig starts to make a little hole at the bottom especially if you do a lot of work with metallics. By some Living Rubber from a fly shop or lure makers catalog, push it to the bottom and trim it. Helps keep things a little tighter.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster