I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

drywall tape
Posted by: Ko Tamura (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 10:55AM

Using dry wall tape for arbors, how well does Rod Bond go through the tape to the blank? If there is a big difference in the ID of the seat and the blank, how large of an arbor can be made using it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: drywall tape
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 11:15AM

It is my understanding that one should build up the fiberglass self sticking drywall tape arbor to the appropriate size then enroll most of it and the "like putting butter spread on toast" lather the tape with the rod bond as you roll it back onto the blank. This will fill in the grid with epoxy and create a bond through to the blank. I hope that was clear enough.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2005 11:53AM

If you have to build up a very large amount of space, I'd forego any kind of tape and just move to foam arbors. They're much quicker to prepare and mount than tape, particularly when you start to talk about shimming larger spaces.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2005 01:17PM

After you unroll the tape arbor you need to apply the rodbond with a Spaula or a pop sickle stick every couple turns as you rewind it. forcing it thru the mesh it will harden up solid

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2005 01:28PM

I use non sticking dry wall mesh and coat it as described above. I tie the lead edge to the blank with white NCP which is then slathered in Rod Bond. When the tape is wound to the proper circumference I tie it down with another length of NCP thread strung through the tape. Makes a nice tight package which stays in place as the reel seat is positioned over it.

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-66-174-7.myvzw.com)
Date: February 10, 2005 01:08AM

When I have had to use multiple layers of drywall tape I usually let the first one get a little stiff before adding the next layer of tape and rod bond. It does take a little longer but they have always been rock solid.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: February 10, 2005 08:27AM

I used dry wall tape under the handle on my first rod. I built 3 separate bushings with spaces in between them. Can you also wrap the tape up the blank with each turn touching the other? I was wondering because there are spaces in the tape already. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2005 08:29AM by Bruce A. Tomaselli.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: February 10, 2005 09:51AM

I too use drywall tape for small gaps, and arbors for large. I have a roll of the somewhat sticky drywall tape. The way I apply it is to first wrap it on the blank and fit the reelseat, then I unwrap all but about two revolutions and as someone said above 'butter' the tape with rod bond. This fills the mesh really well and seems to work great.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: February 10, 2005 10:18AM

Hi Scott
Do you wind the tape up the blank like you would a baseball bat or do you just build it up where it's loose on the blank? I hope this is clear enough.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: February 10, 2005 12:03PM

Hey Bruce,
I just wind the tape in the spot that needs it, basically like an arbor. On a spinning rod i did I put a 1" fiberglass tape "arbor" spaced evenly under the seat. It has held up fine. I dont think you need to wrap like a bat to build it up. Basically the sheetrock tape just acts like rebar to hold the rodbond inplace and in an arbor shape.

Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster