I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Foot Preparation?
Posted by: Rick Kaufmann (---.nas0.nbfd.pa.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 06:29PM

I'm currently building my first fly rod. I'm using guides with what I'd call a dark titanium finish (not black). After grinding the quide feet prior to setting and wrapping them, the guide finish is of course removed on approximately 75% of the guide foot exposing first what appears to be a copper plating and beneath that the stainless steel base metal. Do any of you recoat the guide feet prior to wrapping with some type of paint or marker to cover the now bright metal, or do you just place the guides as is? I plan to use Garnet thread w/o CP so the guide feet will be visible after the finish is applied. I'm just a first time builder so I'd appreciate any and all comments from you experienced guys as to what would look best. Thanks for your help. This site has already helped me alot getting started.
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Foot Preparation?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 06:56PM

If you have an extra guide try wrapping it on the rod where the reel seat and grip will cover the blank and see if it's noticable. If it is you could try nail polish or a paint pen.

Mark

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 07:00PM

I've used a black waterproof marker on black guide feet and it does work. I'm using guides with a similar color now and also using garnet thread w/o CP and I can't really say I can see any difference in color. The feet are apparent, but not really highly visible. If you haven't put on you grip and reel seat yet, test it in the area where the grip and reel seat will be.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.avci.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 07:08PM

I've used the black permanent marker in the past. The ink bleed through the wrapping when I put my finish on the wraps. Garnet is my color of choice for may personal rods. The prepped feet, with no CP applied, do not show through. If you are really concerned, perhaps a little flat spray paint on the prepped surface would stop anything from showing through.

Posted by: Sean Tate (---.nas7.eugene1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 09, 2005 12:52AM

Rick,

I understand your dilemma - that was part of my determination to find guides that need no prep prior to wrapping. Check out Snake Brand guides (link should be on this page). Best guides around in my opinion. Flat feet, perfectly shaped for thread buildup on the foot, perfectly balanced - they stand up on a flat surface, lighter weight than all others that I have worked with, and they come in all sizes, and a variety of finishes. Tip-tops too.

Sean

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 08:13AM

It's been mentioned, and I found myself, that the black ink from a Sharpie or other typical felt markers can rub off. I've switched to a Testors Acrylic Paint Marker (found it at a hobby store) and it provides a very permanent cover. They make an Enamel marker also, have not tried it. Both gloss and flat are available.

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: February 09, 2005 08:42AM

Has anyone ever tried coloring the guide feet with the powder coating used on lead jigheads?

My only concern is that the guide foot would need to be heated with a butane lighter prior to dipping in the powder coating. Not too sure if that's a good idea or not.

But if the heat didn't damage the guide, powder coat would provide a very permanent, uniform color to the feet.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 01:04PM

How hot do the guide feet need to be to use the powder coat? I use guide foot adhesive so I have to heat them a fair amount anyway for that.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 02:14PM

I would think that the powder coating would defeat the purpose and take away the sharp edge. Powder coating leaves a pretty thick build up and wpuld undo your prep wprk. Use a Sharpie marker and if you're not using CP put some on the guide foot, that]ll work

Mike

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: February 10, 2005 10:47AM

I also use the guide foot adhesive and I have a feeling it make take a little more heat then that. Might just try it on a cheap guide just to see, as I have not been too happy with using a sharpie. Unless you are intentionally attempting to put a heavy layer on, it should be no problem getting a smooth layer that is but a fraction of a mm thick; certainly thinner than the dia of size A thread.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: February 10, 2005 12:01PM

Try the marker and CP and/or Permagloss method. Color the foot and apply a sealer to prevent it from being removed.

Jay

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 10, 2005 12:49PM

Now if Rick can find a "dark titanium-not black" marker...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster