I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DUST
Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 01:00AM

What do you do to keep the dust out of wet epoxy?
I live in NYC and its EVERYWHERE!
I 'm working on a clean granite counter , and the only thing on it is the rod,
dryer, & aluminum foil to pour the mixed epoxy on.
It seems like every piece of dust and lint in the city wants to seek out and
drop into my epoxy AFTER its been applied.
The doors and windows are closed- I'm pulling my hair out with frustration!
Does anybody know if a french polish would take it (dust specks) off ,after its cured without hurting the
the epoxy? I'm using Flex coat lite. This is the only problem that I can't seem to get rid of.
Thank YOU!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DUST
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.22.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 02:47AM

i'm sure more will weigh in with probably proven solutions to this imaginable frustrating scenario but it's approaching midnight and i've only had 2 hours of sleep total over the past two nights, i haven't showered at all today and i've just poured myself another cup of coffee, an entirely questionable action in my current situation, but i feel like sharing :-)

try moving the lab to the bathroom? leave shower on for awhile, fill the room with steam, enclose thyself within behind door, entombed, await clearing, epoxy. ???

ahhh, never mind.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-66-174-7.myvzw.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 04:47AM

Is your work area in the path of or near a heating or cooling ventilation duct? If so that could be your source and you could make a temporary filter to put up over the vent while you work. If the dust is just "in" your home, you my want to try a humidifier. Also, be sure that you do not have any ceiling fans going or windows open near your work area. Good Luck.

Posted by: kim nordblad (---.it.volvo.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 06:50AM

you could build some sort of "roof" over the rod when it´s curing. Like some sort of plexiglass or similar, apply epoxy then put your "roof" on and let cure. Hope this helps, thanks.
Kim

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.64.99.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 07:46AM

I wet the area by spraying ( EVERYTHING ) with water from a spray bottle. Turn the fan on, shut it off after about 5-10 min. You don't want any air current that will carry dust. The wet spray will hold a lot of the dust down.

Don't let people walk around, they will kick up dust.

Small room would be even nicer?

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 08:28AM

I also try to do late at night when the movements in the house cease.I have FHA heat that lowers at 11:30 so if possible I try to do it then so a heat cycle wont cause dust to fly(tyr to do when its warmer outside so heat dosent have to come up.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (24.199.174.---)
Date: February 08, 2005 08:33AM

You can make an inexpensive filtration unit by taping a furnace/AC filter to the back of a box fan. It will pull the air in the room through the filter and clean out the dust. I have two in my shop and usually run them for several hours in the morning and then apply the finish after lunch. I have to turn them off about two hours before I start finishing to let the air calm down.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 10:26AM

I you run a portable humidifier it will help remove dust from the air. The box fan filter is a great idea.

John
God bless the troops and USA

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 10:29AM

I solved my dust problems by doing 4 things; I had problems in the winter-very dry air and lots of static!!

1. I built a hinged lid that lowers from the wall over the rod as it's turning. This is made out of an old screen from a screen door. I removed the screen, cut the frame to my dimensions, and put tack cloth in place of the screen. Tack cloth attracts dust. I also set another tack cloth over this, hanging in front of the rod.

2. I put a piece of tack cloth over the heat registers in and near my rod room while the rod is rotating, then take them down.

3. I spray water on the felt supports that the rod is rotating in.

4. Clean room!!!!

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 12:39PM

I'm fortunate to have a room with no heating or cooling vents. I keep the door closed when I'm working with epoxy. So far, I haven't had any trouble with dust at all. I do have to turn on my 1500 watt electric oil filled heater about 45 minutes before I want to mix epoxy, but other than that I like this setup. And with no ventilation, I tend to stay away from using stinky stuff, so other than the brain cells you lose from becoming addicted to rodbuilding, I might have about as many as when I started.

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 12:53PM

Thanks to one and all for the wonderful input!
I live in a wide open loft so I can't take advantage of most of these suggestions ,However.....
Thank you putter for the bit about wetting the felt on the felt supports and Eric-for the bathroom trick...
IT REALLY WORKS!!! -Now if I can keep everybody out ! LOL ;^)
Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.57.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 05:26PM

Time to build another bathroom?? LOL

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 08, 2005 06:38PM

I don't know if you have them in the States, you probably do. I have seen a cloth that can remove static in objects out here in Australia, do a search on Google for other ways to remove static charged objects.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: February 08, 2005 09:26PM

I also keep a spray bottle of water handy...spraying everything, including just the air, before I begin applying epoxy.

Jay

Posted by: PAUL BEAULIEU (---.245.230.64.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 10:01PM

Bought a used HEPA air filter/purifier on @#$%& which I turn on for a hour or so before setting up to put finish.on the wraps. Let things settle in the room for awhile (tIMPORTANT! ..........throw the cat outside for the whole time rod is turning) Keep room closed and activity to a minimum. I know there are more technically effective fixes but this seems to work for me and it did cut down on the dust problem. I guess I'm also lucky not to have forced air heat

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster