I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st time builder - need opinions on my rod blank
Posted by: Jerry Griffin (---.san.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 07:36PM

Hopefully someone can help me out - I just recieved my blank (from mud hole) and since they are now closed for the day I thought I'd see if I could get some imput from someone here. Before I do anytthing, I want to make sure that the blank I recieved is not a "second" ( although I specifically asked that question before ordering and was assured that it wasn't). They have a special price on Cascade Composites blanks (the people who make Rainshadow blanks). Apparently Cascade is getting out of the buisness and Mud Hole bought up their entire inventory. Since I had already determined I wanted a particular Rainshadow, which Mud Hole had, I thought I'd save a few $$ and get it from them. Anyhow , got it today and after a visual, I have doughts that it is in fact a first. Along the entire length of the butt section (two piece downrigger rod) you can easily see an edge (no ridge though) . I am assuming this is the edge of the graphite cloth, but I never noticed it in any other rod before. Is it because I haven't looked hard enough at other rods? Or is this abnormal. The the finish is a "matte clear" . Any imput will be appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st time builder - need opinions on my rod blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2005 07:40PM

I don't believe it's a second. Normally, however, after a blank is sanded the outer layer of graphite and resin and the resulting finish make it hard to actually see the edge of the flag. But, I suppose if you look hard enough you might be able to locate it.

It was my understanding that since Cascade is no longer in business, Mud Hole is offering their own warranty on these blanks. I'd check with them to see if that is the case, and if so, you can perhaps put your mind at ease somewhat.

Posted by: Johnathan Sams (---.65-104.adsl.ij.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 07:49PM

Even if Mud Hole warranties the blank you have no guarantee that you can get another Cascade just like it a year down the road. If they're out of business then Mud Hole can't get any more. Just something to consider when buying close outs or blanks from defunct companies.

Date: February 07, 2005 07:54PM

Thanks for the imput - Like I said I've never seen this before - and It is definately not hard to see. As for the warranty, 90 days on these. I guess I could glue the tip on and put a load on to see if it starts making funny noises?

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 07, 2005 08:26PM

That edge of the flag is usually easier to see toward the butt on a blank, than nearer the tip. On a factory rod, that section is usually covered with the decaling all the way down to the butt cap, so you couldn't notice it much anyway. Your blank sounds fine. A very close and very careful inspection of the blank before building it is always worth the time.

I don't know what kind of ferrule you have, but you need to wrap it with thread before you load the rod much. If it is a spigot-plug style ferrule, wrap BOTH sides of the plug for at least one rod diameter (one centimeter). If it's a tip-over-butt style ferrule, also use at least one rod daimeter (one centimeter). Have fun with the project. -Cliff Hall-

Opinions vary on the minimum wrap width for these ferrules. Visit the links below if you want to read some very helpful and recent discussions of this subject here at RBO:

Ferrule Wrap (Bruce Tomaselli) January 24, 2005
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Re: Lamiglas fiberglass and ferrules (Cliff Hall) Dec. 17, 2004
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Testing Blanks (Gene Maxson) 01/24/05 10:07AM
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 08:34PM

Jerry,

If you're going to put the blank under load you should wrap the female ferrel. Just to be on the safe side.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas8.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 10:55PM

I'm not familiar with Cascade products, but I've had more than a few blanks from other manufacturers where the "edge" can be seen very clearly on blanks that are clear coated or just tinted (not painted) when viewed at certain angles. To me, it adds a certain beauty to a rod.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Date: February 07, 2005 11:23PM

Thanks to everyone for their imput. Sounds like I'm good to go so it's time to get busy.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 08:16PM

You see the cloth line a lot better on blanks that have a gloss finish. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster