I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

burchwood-casey true oil?
Posted by: dave albright (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 12:07PM

I' ve been reading a lot of folks singing praise for this product.
Where does one look for it, do any of the major outlets (Lowe's)? etc.
carry it?
Is it an approp. product to use for bamboo finishing-refinishing?
thanks,dave,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: burchwood-casey true oil?
Posted by: John Kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 12:10PM

I bought some this week from a retailer who sells guns and reloading supplies etc.

John
God bless the troops and USA

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 12:17PM

Dave, Academy sells it, and you may be able to find it in some Wal-Marts.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (162.136.193.---)
Date: February 07, 2005 12:32PM

Any store that specializies in woodworking products, tools, plans, finishes, ect.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 01:01PM

I went to replenish my supply this weekend; checked lumber yards, hardware stores, etc. None had it; finally got it at WalMart. The company that makes it (Birchwood-Casey) is gun-specific and the problem getting it lies there. Was quite a run-around until I found some...

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 02:14PM

I got mine on @#$%&, not really an @#$%& @#$%&, but at a "Buy It Now" @#$%& store. That was after failing to find it in the gun departments of several sporting stores.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 02:27PM

It is a wood finish developed for hardwood gun stocks so is usually found in sporting good stores featuring gun care products.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Phil Langford (66.192.160.---)
Date: February 07, 2005 03:24PM

And yes, I (and more than a few other builders) use Tru-Oil on new and refinished cane rods. It takes awhile to hand wipe on the finish, like five or six coats, but the result is very nice, and there will be no bubbles or runs to worry about and a very nice high gloss. You can cut the gloss with another Birchwood Casey product called "Stock Sheen and Conditioner" which apparently has a mild abrasive in it and leaves a nice waxed satin finish. I do all of finishing on the stripped (or unfinished) blank. Go to Russ Gooding's Golden Witch site at the left and click through to "finishes" for more options and a good discussion of Tru-Oil. He also sells it.

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 06:27PM

It is also sold directly from their website- [www.birchwoodcasey.com]

Posted by: Darrell Lapointe (---.nb.aliant.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 10:42PM

If you look at Walmart check the sporting section with the gun supplies, not the paint section.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster