I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Decals Question
Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: February 06, 2005 12:32PM

I get vinyl decals here from a vendor in the NW for a very good price and quality. You cannot beat it. I recently ordered some and used them on a couple of my own rods. Because the blanks butt section is very small the decal wrapped half way around the blank. Ai had to consantly keep pushing down the corners to keep them seated. Finally they stayed so I thought. One of the corners popped up ever so slightly after applying the epoxy causeing a tiny bump. Irritating yes! Normaly I would strip it off and do it again, however the blank is green. If I strip it I will mess up the green coating. I guess it will have to just do since it is my own rod. Thank go it was not for a customer. That would have been a loss.

Besides rounding the corners on the decal as my other ones are, what can I do to prevent this? I have heard that you somehow can use water with the self adhesive vinyl decals. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank in advance,

David Banaka

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Decals Question
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 01:31PM

If you can get the decal to stick, give it a shot of Krylon clear and let that dry. Coating with a epoxy finish won't lift it then.

Waterslide decals don't seem to have the "lifting" problem; at least I've never had it happen. Just printed four of them out to put on a few minutes ago.

Putter

Posted by: KEITH BURNETTE (---.roa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 01:47PM

I USE A P-TOUCH LABELER AND COAT WITH GUDEBROD 811. WITHOUT IT THE LABEL WILL RAISE WHEN YOU APPLY EPOXY.
KEITH

Date: February 06, 2005 01:47PM

I USE A P-TOUCH LABELER AND COAT WITH GUDEBROD 811. WITHOUT IT THE LABEL WILL RAISE WHEN YOU APPLY EPOXY.
KEITH

Date: February 06, 2005 01:48PM

KEITH

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: February 06, 2005 02:01PM

Where do I get water slide blank decals or sheets and what kind of printer are you using?

Thanks,

David Banaka

Posted by: Carmen De Franco (---.hns.aptalaska.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 02:18PM

try decal connection to the left and click on supplies

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2005 02:23PM

Vinyl lettering will have some disadvantages for use on fishing rods. Decal Connection and Rod Blanks.Com both offer nice water slide decals. They're far superior, cost very little, and the sizes and styles are up to you.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 02:44PM

I get my waterslide decal paper from Decal Connection (sponsor on the left). I bought an Alps MD-1000 printer which prints in metallics; including silver and gold. It is also a pretty high quality photo printer, although I just use my HP 5550 printer for that. I had to get the printer on @#$%&; no US company has them for sale that I know of...

Regular inkjet printers don't work for this decal purpose; save yourself some time and trust me on this one.

Jimi Ellis of Decal Connection is wonderful to work with; he has two different types of this waterslide decal paper, both of which work great, along with some Micro Sol and Micro Set liquids that help with the decal installation. He has some pretty good instructions on his website on how to install the decals; you have to write these down, though, as you can't right click and save anything from his website. :>( Jimi will be at the big show in Charlotte, too, and I'll be coming home with a bunch more decal paper as I'm gettin' low!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2005 03:05PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.243.---)
Date: February 07, 2005 08:14AM

I like to put a coat of finish over the area where a sticker is going to go before I apply the sticker. I let the finish set to the point where it is quite firm, yet tacky. For me, 3 1/2 to 4 hours in my drying box at 90 degrees. At that point when you put the sticker down, its down! My logo is a custom dry transfer with some very fine lines. I used to ruin 1 - 3 transfers before I got one on perfectly. Since switching to the "tacky finish" method, I haven't ruined any.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Jimi Ellis- Decal Connection (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 09:47AM

I will be more than happy to talk to you about your problems but not on this. Email me or call ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster