I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guideless Rod??
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:03AM

Just got my spring Cabelas catalog. On page 27 there is a rod called an Inner Cast. The line goes into a small guide, then into the blank and out the tip which has a "guide" like a bobbin end.

First I wondered how well they work. Second I wondered if I could get my hands on blanks like this. Third, I wondered why I would want one... there isn't much a builder could do on it.

I hope these things things don't do as well as advertised, yet I'm ashamed to say that I kinda want one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guideless Rod??
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:09AM

They've been around for at least 20 years in one form or another. Daiwa had them way back when and Cabelas has had them for a decade now.

In theory they're great. Perfect stress distribution, no extra weight from guides. In practice, there are some problems. It's hard to clean the inside of the rod and once it gets dirty, you have a lot of friction between the line and blank interior (which is ribbed to try and alleviate this problem somewhat).

I'm not aware of anyone who sells such blanks for use on custom made rods.

Posted by: Rich Levy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:14AM

This is probably a private labeled Daiwa Interline. Daiwa has been making the product for years. They used to have a surf model, but these days, I believe they've limited it to freshwater, from 5'9" to 7'3". I've never heard raves about them, although noone seems to be displeased. The inside of the rod has a rifling, which supports the line and removes water from it. The big headache is that you need to use a "threader" to get the line through the rod, which means if you have a break-off while fishing, you'd better have that with you. Also, if you develop a snag of some sort, you better be careful not to reel it into the rod. I don't see what you could do custom on one besides paint it.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:27AM

I've never seen or heard of these things until now. I didn't know they have been around that long. I don't know what closet I've been in to miss these! First thing I thought of was cleaning it. Not something you would want to drop into the sand or fish muddy water with.

Thanks for the inner workings Rich. I was wondering how it could distribute stress without excess friction and/or line wear. Seems like one rough spot of graphite inside it could be a disaster waiting to happen.

To me it's obvious they would have more cons than pros, but curiousity is killing me. I may have to get one for my wife or son just to see how much abuse they can take.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:37AM

Mike, I have a 9 ft Diawa Interline surf rod and can count on both hands the # of times I used it.They say spinning or conventional reel but I tried every spinning reel I had and then some and after about 10 casts and retrieves the line was twisted like it was put on backwards.I even had the line wound at the tackle shop thinking I was at fault.went as far as taking a reel off another that was known to not twist still had a problem.This $200.00 rod(was a gift)sits on the rack now.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (63.168.119.---)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:44AM

Imagine a rod with no guides...you could marblize the entire length of the blank. Don't let Putter get wind of that one!

Jay

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 02:50PM

I handled the high end ($200 plus dollar) DAiwa Interline surf rods in a sporting goods shop and was impressed with the "feel" of it. The design is elegant but in practice it is a disaster waiting to happen. Grit and seaweed are its downfall. Best for hanging on a wall as a conversation piece.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 03:04PM

I was aware of them several years back, but thought about grit and stuff entering the blank and causing problems, so I guess I lost my curiosity. Kinda neat learning about the "inner workings" of this blank today, though. Thanks for the insight on that, Tom & Rich!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 06, 2005 05:45PM

Putter, they didn't take off here in Australia for that reason. I think Diawa had big ideas for this style of rod, and as Tom said the theory is there, but what a white elephant. They would make a good tomato stakes though.

Posted by: TERRY UNDERWOOD (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 07:54PM

THESE RODS GO BACK FARTHER THAN THAT. MY GRANDFATHER LEFT ME A ROD THAT WAS GUIDELESS. IT HAS A CORK HANDLE --- METAL REEL SEAT WITH A FLIP LEVER TO LOCK THE REEL DOWN -- A METAL ROD IN WHICH THE LINE PASSES THROUGH. I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT ANYTHING I CAN OBOUT THIS ROD. THE ONLY THING IT SAYS ON THE REEL SEAT IS W.A. COMPANY -- LOS ANGELAS. I TOOK IT OVER TO BASS PRO AND THEY TOLD ME IT WAS PROBABLY MADE IN THE 1930'S OR 1940'S. THAT WAS ALL THEY COULD TELL ME. IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ROD PLEASE EMAIL ME.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster