I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Daler-Rowney FW Acrylic Artists Ink??
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 06:31PM

Anyone heard of or used this stuff on rod inscriptions? An artist friend uses it for calligraphy, pen and ink drawings and drawing on ceramics and glass. She said it is the best ink she has ever used in technical pens , with dip pens, and brushes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Daler-Rowney FW Acrylic Artists Ink??
Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 08:34PM

I am a professional artist and have used this ink as well.
I think you'll have a problem in so much as the ink is water based and, the
blank would most likely repell the ink!?

Date: February 04, 2005 08:37PM

You should look into letraset rub on or stick on letters.
They come in almost every font-print and script and, easily
rub onto the blank and will remain permenent with a thin layer of epoxy applied over it or=
have the decal connection make a decal for you of you inscription and use that?!

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas2.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 09:52PM

Thanks Eric
I like to write my own inscriptions and have been using a Rapidograph pen and Rapidograph ink. It works fine and is always covered with finish. Always looking for something new and better so will borrow some FW ink from my friend and see if it is any better than what I am using now.

Bob

Date: February 04, 2005 11:17PM

Bob, since ink does works for you, and if you are just looking for a better or "superior " ink,
you should try "Rotoring" ink....best ink made anywhere (if you can find it).
Do use rough the surface of the bank a little to make the ink not bead up?
Rapidograph pen huh... Do you use the old fashioned kind, that you have to dip the tip in the ink and, turn the top dial to
fill the pen? ;^) LOL
I used that brand for a long time, then someone turned me on to Faber- Castell tecnical pens.
They stopped making them but- if you can find some, you'll NEVER use anything else!

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas2.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 12:07AM

Eric

I use the newer Rapidograph that you fill the plastic ink holder that is inside the barrel of the pen and then shake the pen to get the ink flow started. I use a size 0 or 00 tip depending on the size of the rod.

I do waterbreak the finish of the blank where the inscription will go with a small piece of Scotch Brite. After the inscripton has dried I spray it with a small amount of Krylon cyrstal clear acyrlic from about 10" away just to sure that it won't smear and then appy whatever finish i am going to use.

Will have to look into the Rotoring ink, thanks.

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster